The Student Room Group

Cyberpunk 2077 is finally launching tomorrow!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
This is why you don't follow any hype train. Marketing is always going to be misleading.

Never preorder, always wait for reviews. Even then treat reviews with a grain of salt as well. Review copies are shady business.

I'm glad I yarr harr'd the game to see what it was like before I bought into it. Releasing a game like this isn't acceptable at all.
(edited 3 years ago)
You know those wee FPS counters folk have for their games? Is there any way to mod that to a CD Project Red stock ticker? That could be a surreal speedrun :tongue:
Original post by L. Baul
This is why you don't follow any hype train. Marketing is always going to be misleading.

Never preorder, always wait for reviews. Even then treat reviews with a grain of salt as well. Review copies are shady business.

Agree to an extent.

Hype trains like the one CB2077 (GTA V as well) had are utter murder. The game was hyped for so long and the biggest problem there is that it sets the bar of expectations SUPER HIGH.

As for marketing? Some aspects, sure. Though a lot of people seem to be grasping at the PS4 trailer. I will say for that specific point, nowhere does it say recorded on PS4 (that I can see anyway), trailers always look better than the actual game and it was Sony's channel that uploaded the PS4 trailer, not CDPR. To me that the market jumping to assumptions, not misleading marketing. Though there are certainly areas where CDPR was shady, like saying it would run surprisingly well on older consoles. There's no defence for that.

As for reviews. Honestly, take everything with a grain of salt. Offical reviews are questionable anyway. Postive user reviews could easily be fanboys band-aiding. Negative user reviews are obviously going to come in because people are simply going to be more vocal if they have a bad experience rather than a positive one.

Anyway, 18 hours in now. Still very few issues here on PC. Again, mainly just small stuff like Johhny's cig floating. Occasionally having limited movement after opening up the phone menu. The odd lil hitch in performance, but it's hard to knock the game for that considering I'm running it on 6 year old hardware. Did have the game crash on me once though, not particularly sure why, hasn't happened since.

Some things I feel could use improvements:
Random event difficulty - With the city basically being open pretty early (think you have to wait for a lockdown to end, just about sums up 2020 really), you can go anywhere and it seems like enemy difficulty is tied to areas as opposed to character level. There've been plenty of times where I've just ran in guns blazing to a random event on the way to a side mission, shotgun to the face and done a minuscule amount of damage shortly before getting slaughtered because I have literally no idea what sort of 'level' the enemies are made for.

Driving - Honestly, if there's one thing I dislike about this game, it's the driving. It's actually painful. Bikes redeem it to an extent, but even the bikes could use some work.

Weapons comparisons - It should really compare it to a relevant weapon you have equipt. I don't want to know how this shotgun compares to my bloody smart pistol. I want to know how it compares to my current shotgun. Stuff like the snipers should really be compared using outright damage per shot as opposed to DPS, if I'm using the sniper it's either because A) I want to take people out at a distance, or B) I've run into some particularly resilient people (usually both). DPS means nothing at range, and if they're resilient, I'm picking them off at a distance and I want that kill shot as soon as possible. 400 DPS but 2 shot kill? I shoot once and, seeing as they're resilient, they probably have weapons that massively outclass mine and will maul through my health, 250 DPS but 1 shot kill? Massively reduces risk.

Thinking back, the opening could've been much more than what it was. Lifestyle makes no difference bar a few dialogue options from what I can tell. Could've at least panned that out a bit. Could've also had V rise up and earn a bit of a reputation, meet Jackie, etc... Rather than just oh here's 15 lifestyle unique minutes. Montage. Boom, you've got a bit of a rep and you're in NC. Really felt like content was cut there for whatever reason. Would've liked to see some scenes extended when you first 'meet' Johnny as well.

Think that's about it for me. At least the important stuff that comes to mind.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by L. Baul

Don't follow hype yet read reviews? Pft.

Pre-ordering is the thing to do if you're really excited for a game. Usually it's cheapest at pre-order then goes up in price for a while. No reason to wait.
Reply 64
Original post by ozzyoscy
Don't follow hype yet read reviews? Pft.

Pre-ordering is the thing to do if you're really excited for a game. Usually it's cheapest at pre-order then goes up in price for a while. No reason to wait.

I mean, there's no real reason to pre-order either. You have no real guarantee that the game is going to be good. It only enables more half baked, lazy releases that have become more and more common like the recent Avengers, Cyberpunk, Anthem, FO76. I mean, why bother going through the full effort when you already have everyone's money to begin with? Just rush something out!

It's not like game disks are scarce and digital copies never (In theory. I've seen it happen with like 1 game on Steam that was exceptionally popular on launch or maybe it went free to keep as a promotion or something.) run out either. It's quite an outdated practice coming from when physical copies were fewer and more likely to run out on launch day.

As a general rule I don't pre-order anything (I believe I've only really pre-ordered around 4 times within the past 5-10 years or so) and it's done me pretty fine. I've avoided disastrously launches like the previously mentioned games. I just wait and occasionally check news on the progress of any games I'm interested in and it's worked out pretty well.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by L. Baul
I mean, there's no real reason to pre-order either.

To get a game you really want when it releases, and at a good price. No reason to wait an arbitrary amount of time if you've been waiting for it.

Major issues like the console releases of Cyberpunk are a rarity. I've yet to pre-order a game in my lifetime and been faced with it being unplayable or graphically so bad.
Original post by L. Baul
I mean, there's no real reason to pre-order either. You have no real guarantee that the game is going to be good. It only enables more half baked, lazy releases that have become more and more common like the recent Avengers, Cyberpunk, Anthem, FO76. I mean, why bother going through the full effort when you already have everyone's money to begin with? Just rush something out!

It's not like game disks are scarce and digital copies never (In theory. I've seen it happen with like 1 game on Steam that was exceptionally popular on launch or maybe it went free to keep as a promotion or something.) run out either. It's quite an outdated practice coming from when physical copies were fewer and more likely to run out on launch day.

As a general rule I don't pre-order anything (I believe I've only really pre-ordered around 4 times within the past 5-10 years or so) and it's done me pretty fine. I've avoided disastrously launches like the previously mentioned games. I just wait and occasionally check news on the progress of any games I'm interested in and it's worked out pretty well.

The only reason I can think of is pre-loading, so you can play the game DOR, rather than buy it, download it, maybe play it the same day depending on when you purchased, size of the game and download speeds.

That being said, as far as digital pre-ordering goes, some marketplaces have pretty nifty refund policies. Steam for example, allows you to refund game purchases within 2 weeks of purchase (or release for pre-orders) or 2 hours playtime. With a fallback like that, if you want a game that's up for pre-order on steam, I see no reason not to pre-order. Like it and it works well? You've got the game. Don't like it or it's a mess of a game? You can get a refund. Win-Win really.
Reply 67
To get a game you really want when it releases, and at a good price. No reason to wait an arbitrary amount of time if you've been waiting for it.

Major issues like the console releases of Cyberpunk are a rarity. I've yet to pre-order a game in my lifetime and been faced with it being unplayable or graphically so bad.

Very rarely is a game on pre-order for cheaper. As far as I've seen.

Original post by TheMcSame
The only reason I can think of is pre-loading, so you can play the game DOR, rather than buy it, download it, maybe play it the same day depending on when you purchased, size of the game and download speeds.

That being said, as far as digital pre-ordering goes, some marketplaces have pretty nifty refund policies. Steam for example, allows you to refund game purchases within 2 weeks of purchase (or release for pre-orders) or 2 hours playtime. With a fallback like that, if you want a game that's up for pre-order on steam, I see no reason not to pre-order. Like it and it works well? You've got the game. Don't like it or it's a mess of a game? You can get a refund. Win-Win really.

Except if you refund too often and your refund rights get revoked. Refunds aren't for demoing a game. Also, for a lot of AAA (And some indie) titles these days, 2 hours is barely scratching the surface. Not as much of a win-win as you'd like to believe, really. It's a good policy, but it's pretty restrictive for many titles.
Original post by L. Baul
Except if you refund too often and your refund rights get revoked.

Don't abuse it then?

Refunds aren't for demoing a game

We're talking specifically about pre-orders and the potential for broken releases. Regardless, technically you're wrong. Valve literally states you can request a refund for any reason and even states not liking a game as an example. As long as it's within the set criteria, you will get a refund.

Also, for a lot of AAA (And some indie) titles these days, 2 hours is barely scratching the surface.

If it's broke within the first 2 hours, it's probably broke throughout. And if you don't like it in the first 2 hours... Do I even need to finish that?

Not as much of a win-win as you'd like to believe, really. It's a good policy, but it's pretty restrictive for many titles.

It isn't restrictive at all. Plenty of time to determine whether the game is worth playing or not. It only becomes restrictive when you grasp at straws
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by L. Baul
Very rarely is a game on pre-order for cheaper. As far as I've seen.

See, this is the 'on the internet' response.

The 'normal person' response you should've made was "they can be cheaper? I never noticed that, I probably haven't looked enough or am looking in the wrong places. Where do you buy from?"

Learning something new isn't an act of heresy and someone with new info isn't just lying to spite your omniscience.

With ray tracing off. Who needs RTX?
Managed to grab a 3070 without an insane price gouge, looking forward to firing CP2077 up next week :woo:

With ray tracing off. Who needs RTX?

Great shot!
Reply 72
Don't abuse it then?

We're talking specifically about pre-orders and the potential for broken releases. Regardless, technically you're wrong. Valve literally states you can request a refund for any reason and even states not liking a game as an example. As long as it's within the set criteria, you will get a refund.

If it's broke within the first 2 hours, it's probably broke throughout. And if you don't like it in the first 2 hours... Do I even need to finish that?

It isn't restrictive at all. Plenty of time to determine whether the game is worth playing or not. It only becomes restrictive when you grasp at straws

1) Fair point, really. But still, publishers just need to be more honest with their marketing. There's been enough times where a game just isn't quite what it was advertised to be. (Cyberpunk, Division, Watch Dogs, NMS, FO76.).

2) Yes, they state you can refund for any reason. But they also discourage abusing the system. They also discourage using the refund system as a way to demo games.

3) Sometimes 2 hours just isn't enough time to get a decent idea about a game. Just look at MMO's like ESO and FFXIV where you've got to spend several hours to really get a feel for it. Hell even games like Cyberpunk, Skyrim, Yakuza all have way more to offer and don't get going until a few hours in. Some games simply just start out slow and by the time it gets going, you're too late.

That being said there's also the other extreme that I experienced just once. I bought the Flavor Nexus DLC for Jazzpunk. Completed it in under 2 hours (It was really short) and ended up refunding it because it was incredibly underwhelming and a massive disappointment compared to how good the main game was. Got the refund.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by L. Baul
That being said there's also the other extreme that I experienced just once. I bought the Flavor Nexus DLC for Jazzpunk. Completed it in under 2 hours (It was really short) and ended up refunding it because it was incredibly underwhelming and a massive disappointment compared to how good the main game was. Got the refund.

You refunded a 50p (£1.99 full price!) DLC for being underwhelming...

I thought it was hilarious for what it was. Hard to be disappointed with a 50p DLC.
Original post by L. Baul
1) Fair point, really. But still, publishers just need to be more honest with their marketing. There's been enough times where a game just isn't quite what it was advertised to be. (Cyberpunk, Division, Watch Dogs, NMS, FO76.).

Oh, I certainly agree. It's a more a point about still using your brain when it comes to purchases rather than using and abusing refund systems for a free trial.

2) Yes, they state you can refund for any reason. But they also discourage abusing the system. They also discourage using the refund system as a way to demo games.

Which again, is why you still should use your brain when it comes to purchases. Purchase games as if you were going to keep them rather than saying, oh what does it matter, I'll just refund it.

3) Sometimes 2 hours just isn't enough time to get a decent idea about a game. Just look at MMO's like ESO and FFXIV where you've got to spend several hours to really get a feel for it. Hell even games like Cyberpunk, Skyrim, Yakuza all have way more to offer and don't get going until a few hours in. Some games simply just start out slow and by the time it gets going, you're too late.

I very much beg to differ. 2 hours is easily enough to determin whether a game is worth investing your time into and whether you enjoy it.

Okay? It's a cheap DLC marketed as something short, "20-50 minutes" according to the devs.
Reply 75
You refunded a 50p (£1.99 full price!) DLC for being underwhelming...

I thought it was hilarious for what it was. Hard to be disappointed with a 50p DLC.

I got it for full price a while back. I just didn't think it was worth it. It just kind of fell flat for me. The jokes just weren't funny at all to me while the main game was fantastic for jokes.

I just really didn't like the DLC. It felt really lazy.
Reply 76
Oh, I certainly agree. It's a more a point about still using your brain when it comes to purchases rather than using and abusing refund systems for a free trial.

Which again, is why you still should use your brain when it comes to purchases. Purchase games as if you were going to keep them rather than saying, oh what does it matter, I'll just refund it.

I very much beg to differ. 2 hours is easily enough to determin whether a game is worth investing your time into and whether you enjoy it.

Okay? It's a cheap DLC marketed as something short, "20-50 minutes" according to the devs.

1) I've personally refunded quite a few games that looked pretty good on paper. Watching gameplay footage and all that. But ended up just kind of falling flat when it came to playing it. This is why I feel that demos should just be more of a thing.

2) I tend to buy that way anyway. I'm obviously buying the game so I intend to keep it. But for me, there's just some games that like I said, look good and all that. But fall flat when I'm actually playing it.

3) Like I said, some games just don't get going until after 2 hours. Where those first two hours are a slow lead up into the real meat of the game, where you start actually getting a proper feel for it. Like MMO's. The first few hours of any MMO are pretty excruciating and slow but they start picking up beyond that. Most games generally do let you get a good idea within those 2 hours though.

4) Just an anecdote. Figured it was worth adding. I didn't really refund for the short length but more that the content, for me, was really lacking. Main game was great and I was expecting that level of quality just in a shorter package. But it just kind of felt lazy and fell flat for me. For a game all about the jokes, the DLC's jokes weren't that great. Just thought it was interesting that I managed to refund something I completed.
Original post by L. Baul
I got it for full price a while back. I just didn't think it was worth it. It just kind of fell flat for me. The jokes just weren't funny at all to me while the main game was fantastic for jokes.

I just really didn't like the DLC. It felt really lazy.

You really showed that small indie developer what-for.

Don't spend that £1.99 all at once. Think about investing it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 78
You really showed that small indie developer what-for.

Don't spend that £1.99 all at once. Think about investing it.

So I can't refund something that I didn't enjoy?

Don't worry, I put it towards a better piece of DLC anyway. One that didn't waste an hour of my time with boring content.
Original post by L. Baul
So I can't refund something that I didn't enjoy?

Don't worry, I put it towards a better piece of DLC anyway. One that didn't waste an hour of my time with boring content.

You're clearly making 100% efficient use of your time.

Quick Reply

Latest