The Student Room Group

What should I do before clearing?

Should I search up clearing courses and then call the universities on results day or do I call the universities and ask them about clearing courses?
Original post by Shelly Wang
Should I search up clearing courses and then call the universities on results day or do I call the universities and ask them about clearing courses?

Hi there :hello:

Yes, you should first check what courses are being offered in Clearing on the UCAS website (many will appear today as well as tomorrow), look into the detail of the courses (what will be taught, how it will be assessed etc.) and the university (where it is, is it a campus/city uni etc.) and make yourself a shortlist.

Only once you've selected a list of courses you want to apply for should you start ringing round in the morning. :yep:

As you'll only find out your grades tomorrow, it's worth spending this afternoon looking into courses that fit the different range of grades you think you might come up with, as well as potentially options if you don't do quite as well as you hoped. :smile:
Reply 2
Hi there, how can I see the courses that are currently in clearing? I want to make sure everything is ready tomorrow.

Original post by Saracen's Fez
Hi there :hello:

Yes, you should first check what courses are being offered in Clearing on the UCAS website (many will appear today as well as tomorrow), look into the detail of the courses (what will be taught, how it will be assessed etc.) and the university (where it is, is it a campus/city uni etc.) and make yourself a shortlist.

Only once you've selected a list of courses you want to apply for should you start ringing round in the morning. :yep:

As you'll only find out your grades tomorrow, it's worth spending this afternoon looking into courses that fit the different range of grades you think you might come up with, as well as potentially options if you don't do quite as well as you hoped. :smile:
Reply 3

Is the clearing hotline the same number as admissions number or will the clearing number show on universities' websites?
Original post by zenovae
Hi there, how can I see the courses that are currently in clearing? I want to make sure everything is ready tomorrow.

Hi :smile: You can start searching here: https://www.ucas.com/clearing-launch
Reply 5
Is the clearing hotline the same number as admissions number or will the clearing number show on universities' websites?

The clearing number shows on the course on ucas. If you scroll to the bottom of the course info, above the map, it gives you all the numbers and emails and links needed.
Reply 6
Original post by pOppyp0ppy
The clearing number shows on the course on ucas. If you scroll to the bottom of the course info, above the map, it gives you all the numbers and emails and links needed.

Thank you

Hey there @Shelly Wang !

It will probably make the process run smoother if you have a shortlist of potential courses you're interested in. You can also ask but if you want it to be over and done with then it will probably help to have a list of potential interests. This means they can also recommend similar courses to you if your original choices don't work out or they have limited spaces. It just means you don't have to spend your day routing through websites and such. It might help for each university you call to have tabs open on your browser of the courses you like so you know what you're talking about on the call and it makes the process overall a lot quicker.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 8
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @Shelly Wang !

It will probably make the process run smoother if you have a shortlist of potential courses you're interested in. You can also ask but if you want it to be over and done with then it will probably help to have a list of potential interests. This means they can also recommend similar courses to you if your original choices don't work out or they have limited spaces. It just means you don't have to spend your day routing through websites and such. It might help for each university you call to have tabs open on your browser of the courses you like so you know what you're talking about on the call and it makes the process overall a lot quicker.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Thank you

Hi, it looks like you've had some good advice here already, but I'd agree you should look up the courses before you get your results using the UCAS website, or universities' websites if you have a shortlist of areas you'd like to go to.

It's worth reading about the courses you're interested in on the unis' websites too to get an idea of modules etc and what you might like best - plus look at courses similar to the ones you'd like to do.
Then check the universities' social channels and wider websites to get an idea of what they're like if you've not visited them at Open Day.

Tomorrow will probably be a bit of a whirlwind so if you've got a shortlist of universities to call, you can get straight on the phone when you get your results in the morning because the sooner you call, the better.

Most universities will have an Open Day this weekend for people offered a course through Clearing so you can visit before you start.

Good luck for tomorrow!!

Julie
UoH

Hi Shelly,
Do you have an idea of what you want to study?
Some universities will publish the courses they have available on their website and others will advise this over the phone so it's best to have an idea of the subject area you wish to study and go from there. It's also worth having in mind which universities you want to contact and making a note of their numbers so when Results Day hits you can start off organised. The Clearing Team will ask you a few questions about your qualifications and provide information on their entry criteria and hopefully be able to make you an offer!
Best of luck for tomorrow :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending