The Student Room Group

STEM vs Humanities?

Does studying STEM subjects mean you're more intelligent than those that study Humanities (speaking in general terms) ?

Counting Law and Econ etc as Humanities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
here we go again

this rears its head at least twice a year and is always a cripplefight
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
here we go again

this rears its head at least twice a year and is always a cripplefight

hehe was bored an wanted to see people come and debate
Reply 3
Original post by alexr19i8

prepare yourself, someone is bound to bite!
Does studying STEM subjects mean you're more intelligent than those that study Humanities (speaking in general terms) ?

Counting Law and Econ etc as Humanities

This is why you were a troll last time and remain a troll. No it doesnt.
Let's just say all the people who i know study physics or maths have a god complex and all my friends who take
humanities are super chill.take what you want from this
lol never seen this before but actually love it. I'd say it just builds different skills in the people studying them - people studying STEM develop more problem solving skills, and people in humanities more critical thinking skills.

Those two seem similar but they differ by the fact that Critical Thinking is an intentional and reflective way of looking at things or circumstances, while Problem Solving focuses on a specific situation.

cl I jumped to thinking STEM ppl were smarter, just bcos of the effort required to understand the concepts behind the sciences - but truly they just build on different, but equally key skills
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
This is why you were a troll last time and remain a troll. No it doesnt.

sorry?
go away
Original post by blueham1
lol never seen this before but actually love it. I'd say it just builds different skills in the people studying them - people studying STEM develop more problem solving skills, and people in humanities more critical thinking skills.

Those two seem similar but they differ by the fact that Critical Thinking is an intentional and reflective way of looking at things or circumstances, while Problem Solving focuses on a specific situation.

cl I jumped to thinking STEM ppl were smarter, just bcos of the effort required to understand the concepts behind the sciences - but truly they just build on different, but equally key skills

Maybe because you dont use TSR, so hardly surpising.
Reply 10
Original post by rehena12
Let's just say all the people who i know study physics or maths have a god complex and all my friends who take
humanities are super chill.take what you want from this

haha god complex :biggrin:
sorry?

You know very well what Im referring to.
Reply 12
You know very well what Im referring to.

no i understand, but what's wrong with this? It's a debating question in the educational debate section. I don't understand your problem with this? Surely if you find the subject boring or offensive avoid the debate?
no i understand, but what's wrong with this? It's a debating question in the educational debate section. I don't understand your problem with this? Surely if you find the subject boring or offensive avoid the debate?

Nah its just you trying to turn things into a cripplefight which we learned from last time. If you were genuine, then you would state your case at the beginning. You dont seriously believe you are the first person to have launched a stem master race argument, do you? The question is quite stupid because you only seem to have one definition of intelligence and even that you couldnt be bothered to set out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Nah its just you trying to turn things into a cripplefight which we learned from last time. If you were genuine, then you would state your case at the beginning. You dont seriously believe you are the first person to have launched a stem master race argument, do you? The question is quite stupid because you only seem to have one definition of intelligence and even that you couldnt be bothered to set out.

lol what do you mean, I've studied both, I'm just trying to debate with other people and all your posts are literally going on threads and commenting how it's not annoying etc.
If so why not just ignore it? :biggrin:
I get you love being miserable and all, but surely if it bothers you that much you're better off blocking me :biggrin:
lol what do you mean, I've studied both, I'm just trying to debate with other people and all your posts are literally going on threads and commenting how it's not annoying etc.
If so why not just ignore it? :biggrin:
I get you love being miserable and all, but surely if it bothers you that much you're better off blocking me :biggrin:

You arent debating, to do that you need to set out an argument. You are just trying to cause a cripplefight. What is your version of intelligence and why does it matter? What is the point of your thread and apart from your ego what will you prove?
There is a search function on TSR

AKA trolling
Reply 18
You arent debating, to do that you need to set out an argument. You are just trying to cause a cripplefight. What is your version of intelligence and why does it matter? What is the point of your thread and apart from your ego what will you prove?

It matters to me because I'm interested, it doesn't have to necessarily have to be important to be a topic to be debated on. What do you mean my ego? I've studied both lmao
Like seriously, do you enjoy going on threads and just sh*tting on them? I don't get why you can't just ignore it instead of wasting your energy.

Neither type of subject requires higher intelligence, just a different form of intelligence. Humanities will require better verbal reasoning whereas STEM will require better spatial reasoning and pattern recognition. Some people are better at the former, others better at the latter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending