The Student Room Group

Integrated Masters in Law Advice

So let me give some background. 2 years ago when receiving my A-Level results, I didn't do particularly well in my A-Levels and it was looking unlikely that I would get into a decent uni and even if I did, they would force me to do Law with a foundation year (or a completely different course). However my university not only accepted me for straight 3 years Law LLB but also were willing to offer me the opportunity to do a 4 year course of Law with a placement.

Sadly two years later despite meeting all the academic requirements and having a fair ammount of work experience, I haven't been offered a 'good' placement (not to say that the few placements I've been offered are necessarily bad, their just a little impractical and therefore not a good fit) and consequently will be going into my third year.

However, I do not want to just change my degree to the normal undergrad Law LLB. I know that technically if I don’t get a placement year I would automatically go back to the normal Law LLB course but recently I have reconsidering my future prospects post uni and I think doing an integrated masters would be beneficial for career development.

Additionally, I have a proven track record of prioritising my academic studies with me obtaining a first class in my first year and barring one module (which I am currently working on resitting due to unforeseen circumstances) I have obtained a 2:1 overall.

I've already sent the course change request to be on integrated masters course (after having a lengthy discussion with the undergraduate director for my department about potential barriers to doing this). However, me being a natural worrier, I am concerned in whether I'm making a mistake.

I want what are the pros and cons of doing an integrated masters vs just doing my 3 years, seeing how things go and doing a masters separately. I'm seeing online and getting a lot advice particularly regarding the pros and cons for STEM courses, but not a lot for humanities subjects such as Law.

Any advice and rationale from postgrads who done a masters separately or those integrated masters for law will be much appreciated.
Reply 1
what uni was this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending