it should be blue right?

I can’t really see the image but
cu2+ has a green flame
And forms light blue precipitate with sodium hydroxide s
Original post by Mustafa2021
I can’t really see the image but
cu2+ has a green flame
And forms light blue precipitate with sodium hydroxide s

the question is asking when a yellow solution forms after dissolving A in a minimum volume of conc hcl, what is the cation in A, there are 2 possible answers which are Fe3+ and cu2+, I know the color of Fe3+ is yellow, but why Cu2+ is also a possible answer
Reply 3
Original post by Hedwigeeeee
it should be blue right?

CuCl4^2- is yellow.
the question is asking when a yellow solution forms after dissolving A in a minimum volume of conc hcl, what is the cation in A, there are 2 possible answers which are Fe3+ and cu2+, I know the color of Fe3+ is yellow, but why Cu2+ is also a possible answer

I’m pretty sure fe3+ isn’t yellow
I think it’s reddish brown
Original post by Mustafa2021
I’m pretty sure fe3+ isn’t yellow
I think it’s reddish brown

The colour of a transition metal ion depends on the ligands to which it is attached.

Iron(III) in aqueous solution exists as the hexaaqua complex ion, which is yellow.

Change the ligands and you can change the colour radically.

Fe(II)Fe(III)(CN)6 is very dark blue and used to be used as an ink (Prussian blue)
Fe(SCN)2- ions are dark blood red
etc.
it should be blue right?

The aqueous transition metal complex formed is [CuCl4]2- . This complex is a yellow solution. In this complex, Cu2+ is the cation.
Original post by Blakenem1
The aqueous transition metal complex formed is [CuCl4]2- . This complex is a yellow solution. In this complex, Cu2+ is the cation.

No, the copper atom forms part of the complex anion, tetrachlorocuprate(II)
Original post by charco
No, the copper atom forms part of the complex anion, tetrachlorocuprate(II)

isn't that the same compound, in which Cu2+ is the central metal ion?
isn't that the same compound, in which Cu2+ is the central metal ion?

Yes, but in this case the copper(II) is part of an anion, it is not a cation.
Original post by charco
Yes, but in this case the copper(II) is part of an anion, it is not a cation.

ahh, okay, makes sense, thank you! but if Cu2+ is positively charged, which it is, isn't it still technically a cation? I don't know myself, just wondering! :smile:
ahh, okay, makes sense, thank you! but if Cu2+ is positively charged, which it is, isn't it still technically a cation? I don't know myself, just wondering! :smile:

I can see your dilemma.

Copper, in this instance, is simply an atom. We can use the model of oxidation numbers to ascribe it an oxidation number of +2, but it is the actual species that has a charge, not the copper. The confusion is compounded by textbooks, that can refer to the copper as being Cu2+, when it is nothing of the sort.

To offer an analogy, you would not describe the sulfur atom in a sulfate ion as having a charge of +6, or describe it as a cation.
Original post by charco
I can see your dilemma.

Copper, in this instance, is simply an atom. We can use the model of oxidation numbers to ascribe it an oxidation number of +2, but it is the actual species that has a charge, not the copper. The confusion is compounded by textbooks, that can refer to the copper as being Cu2+, when it is nothing of the sort.

To offer an analogy, you would not describe the sulfur atom in a sulfate ion as having a charge of +6, or describe it as a cation.

this makes so much sense, thank you so much! you've just taught me something neglected by nearly two years of a level chemistry; I'm very grateful! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest