The Student Room Group

#EqualityforBTEC

Let's get the unfair treatment of BTec students trending! Please use the hashtag #EqualityforBTEC to tweet about the dreadful situation Colleges, vocational and BTec students have been left in. Cancel all exams and treat all students equally.
But... thats worse, no?
Reply 2
The English Department of Education announced, “In light of the evolving public health measures, schools and colleges can continue with the vocational and technical exams that are due to take place in January, where they judge it right to do so.” The entirety of our teaching since September was held online, this caused many difficulties for many pupils due to widespread inaccessibility to computers and poor internet connection. Myself and my peers within my class agree that it is completely unfair for individual colleges to determine whether it is safe to hold examinations. It also creates inequality within the cohort of students, as whether you sit the examinations or not depends upon the college you attend. It is paramount for the Northern Irish government to ensure that all students are treated fairly, the decision by the English Department of Education to allow colleges to separately decide does not guarantee this. It became distressingly clear that the English Government overlooked the BTec and vocational students beginning examinations this week when they made the announcement to cancel GCSE and A-level exams in the summer. It portrays a troubling message; that BTec and vocational qualifications are not valued as equal to their GCSE and A-level counterparts. An issue that is unique to the location of the college and one which has caused many students worry, is the fact that several students reside in the Republic of Ireland. Attending examinations would result in these students crossing the border, with some students facing long journeys and the need to use public transport. Other students live over one hour from the college and rely on public transport to travel. Many students have voiced their concerns and are opposed to attending examinations at this time as they feel unsafe and are suffering from increased anxiety. Thus, it is of great importance that vocational and BTec students are treated equally to GCSE and A-Level students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending