The Student Room Group

Is health and social care a good gcse?

People doing gcse is health and social care a good option?
Hey, yes I really enjoyed it. I didn’t do it for GCSE as it wasn’t offered in my school, but I did child development and there is some crossovers. I did it for a level on really enjoyed it. I think it would’ve even been better if we were able to do the practical aspect it’s like a placement but this was during Covid so that wasn’t allowed. The coursework is really interesting and it really help to develop your skills set find out if working in health and social care might be where you wanna work in the future or not. To really exceed in the subject. I think it just takes a certain person who is empathetic and kind, but I’m sure you could do well just learning things as well, but it is quite a practical subject and a moral subject. I’m sure you’ll be amazing at it though and wish you all the best of luck with your decision.
Original post by Eyad1

Hiya!

When I studied Health and Social Care I loved it - I choose my GCSE subjects at the end of year 8 and by the end of year 11 I manage to secure a Level 2 Distinction as a grade. I also chose to study Health and Social Care at college and got a Level 2 Distinction * and currently I am studying Health and Well-being in Society for an undergraduate degree.

I would recommend having a look at what topics you are taught within the subject and speaking to whoever teaches this as perhaps this can influence your decision. However, I would also say some of what you are taught is common sense and therefore valuable in life even if you don’t choose to pursue a career in the field of Health and Social Care. Would you consider a job in this sector? I do hence why I continued studying this throughout education and had a passion for the subject.

I also agree, if you are a kind, sympathetic individual I think this matches the subject very well and your personality will reflect in your learning.

An important thing to consider however is that this subject involves a lot of writing. If I remember correctly, the subject is heavily coursework based so I guess this depends on your perspective whether this is good or bad. For me, this was good as it put less stress on myself when it came to the exams; even though I usually do well and try my best if I had an off day or the exam was hard and I didn’t do as good my coursework would bring my grade up.

I will be happy to try and answer any further questions and good luck with your decision

-Maddie, second year Health and Well-being in Society student at De Montfort University
Reply 3
Original post by Eyad1

yes
Reply 4
Original post by De Montfort University
Hiya!
When I studied Health and Social Care I loved it - I choose my GCSE subjects at the end of year 8 and by the end of year 11 I manage to secure a Level 2 Distinction as a grade. I also chose to study Health and Social Care at college and got a Level 2 Distinction * and currently I am studying Health and Well-being in Society for an undergraduate degree.
I would recommend having a look at what topics you are taught within the subject and speaking to whoever teaches this as perhaps this can influence your decision. However, I would also say some of what you are taught is common sense and therefore valuable in life even if you don’t choose to pursue a career in the field of Health and Social Care. Would you consider a job in this sector? I do hence why I continued studying this throughout education and had a passion for the subject.
I also agree, if you are a kind, sympathetic individual I think this matches the subject very well and your personality will reflect in your learning.
An important thing to consider however is that this subject involves a lot of writing. If I remember correctly, the subject is heavily coursework based so I guess this depends on your perspective whether this is good or bad. For me, this was good as it put less stress on myself when it came to the exams; even though I usually do well and try my best if I had an off day or the exam was hard and I didn’t do as good my coursework would bring my grade up.
I will be happy to try and answer any further questions and good luck with your decision
-Maddie, second year Health and Well-being in Society student at De Montfort University

Hey at gcse years 10-11 what type if things are studied for hasc
Original post by Eyad1

I did level 1 and 2 health and social, I'm on the last year of level 3 now.
What you specifically study depends on your country (England, Wales, Scotland..), but they're all pretty similar.

In level 2 I studied a lot of healthcare laws, how to take care of older adults with dementia, different medical conditions, different approaches to healthcare. I also had to do 100 hours of work placement in a care setting (like a care home).
Original post by Eyad1

Hiya!
I can only speak for what was taught at my secondary school and this information may vary from your own, so I would still recommend doing your research and / or speaking to a teacher for confirmation. Also, I finished secondary school in 2020, and therefore some things might have changed. At my school, I studied Cambridge Nationals Level 2 in Health and Social Care, and this consisted of three units.

1. RO32: Principles of Care for Use with Individuals in Care Settings

Helps pre-pare you for a career in any Health and Social care setting

Exploring the care values which underpin Health and Social Care settings and how to promote choice and independence in these settings

Investigate different forms of communication which may be used in Health and Social Care

2. R033: Supporting individuals through life stages

Develop knowledge and understanding of human growth and development across the main life stages

Exploring positive and negative influences which can affect development

This information will be used to help you understand and be able to work with people who use health and social care services more effectively

Research service providers and practitioners that can support individuals, recommend alternative support, and justify how the needs of the individual will be met by this.

3. R035: Health Promotion Campaigns

Explore various public health challenges the country faces, and the approaches used to encourage Health and Wellbeing and the importance of it to society

Exploring the factors that affect a healthy lifestyle so that campaigns can be designed to target different groups of people

You will learn how to plan and deliver your own small-scale health promotion campaign and how to evaluate your planning and delivery

I hope this helps,
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Eyad1

Hey, I'm in year 10 and I've been doing health and social care since year 9. It can be a good subject but I'd advise you to speak to people in the years above you about how they find it. I made the mistake of not doing this and should have known better since my school is generally problematic.
Things like how organised specific teachers are or how well the department runs as a whole really matter for any subject where part of your gcse is internally assessed. Since components 1 and 2 are internally assessed in hsc, it's pretty much up to the school to make things run smoothly and up to you to decide whether you can trust your school to do that. For my component 1 coursework exam, the department lead for hsc at my school forgot to get enough laptops for both classes so half of my class practically sat around for the first lesson (2 hours out of a 6-hour exam). It was chaotic every lesson after that and we didn't get to recover the time because my teacher 'wasn't available to stay back after school'. We all got way under our targets but aren't allowed to resit because we're already behind on component 2 content. Anyway, the moral of the story is that sometimes it's not just your own ability that determines whether or not you succeed. Also, make sure to ask whether you'll be allowed to draft coursework because I'm pretty sure most schools allow that - not mine though 😕
However, in terms of content, a lot of it is common sense. Check the specifications if you know the exam board. I use Edexcel and component 1 is 'human lifespan and development' so you cover physical, intellectual, emotional and social development across the different life stages. 1. b is life events, and factors affecting growth and development, which cover physical, intellectual, emotional, social, economic, environmental, cultural factors etc as well as various subfactors (e.g. inherited disorders will come under physical factors affecting growth and development).
If you do pick it I hope you have a good experience 🙂 good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending