The Student Room Group

Graph hookes law

Is this graph obeying hookes law I know the line is linear but.....1610212354213.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes it obeys Hooke's law. It seems strange because we usually use force against extension graph, however in this graph axis are reversed and it uses length instead of extension, so you can see from the graph that original length is 40 cm. with that in mind you should notice there is a linear relationship between force and extension which implies that this spring obeys Hooke's law.
Reply 2
Original post by scottishpenguin
Yes it obeys Hooke's law. It seems strange because we usually use force against extension graph, however in this graph axis are reversed and it uses length instead of extension, so you can see from the graph that original length is 40 cm. with that in mind you should notice there is a linear relationship between force and extension which implies that this spring obeys Hooke's law.

Thx it was a bit confusing I thought the line is supposed to start from 0
Original post by Ava_Watson
Is this graph obeying hookes law I know the line is linear but.....1610212354213.jpg

You can find it out easily by calculating the ratio force/length, the spring constant. Convert cm to m, take some points (the appropriate length to appropriate force) in your graph and calculate. If the spring constant is always the same you know for sure that the graph is linear and Hooke's Law exists!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Kallisto
You can find it out easily by calculating the ratio force/length, the spring constant. Convert cm to m, take some points (the appropriate length to appropriate force) in your graph and calculate. If the spring constant is always the same you know for sure that the graph is linear and Hooke's Law exists!

OH I see wow thx
OH I see wow thx

No problem! it was my pleasure to give you a precious tip to control it by yourself. :h:
Thx it was a bit confusing I thought the line is supposed to start from 0

I can understand why it is confusing. The straight line will only pass through the origin provided it is plotted with force against extension or extension against force.

From Hooke's law, the relationship of this graph can be derived.
F=kΔx F = k \Delta x
F=k(ll0) F = k (l - l_0)

where Δx \Delta x is the extension and l0 l_0 is the original length.

Rearrange the last equation into the form of y = mx + c.

Quick Reply

Latest