The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

warwick clearing 2024

I got my offer back from warwick and they rejected me due to my grades AAB when entry reqs for law is A*AA. however i should've been able to get a contextual offer due to some cirumstances. I have recieved three offers from three other universities - oxf brookes, leicester & essex. Should I decline all to go through Warwick clearing? Is it worth it? Would there be space for law? I'm planning on doing so because I was so set and determined to go Warwick, I'm super bummed :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I got my offer back from warwick and they rejected me due to my grades AAB when entry reqs for law is A*AA. however i should've been able to get a contextual offer due to some cirumstances. I have recieved three offers from three other universities - oxf brookes, leicester & essex. Should I decline all to go through Warwick clearing? Is it worth it? Would there be space for law? I'm planning on doing so because I was so set and determined to go Warwick, I'm super bummed :frown:

You say that you "should've been able to get a contextual offer due to some cirumstances." Every university decides upon their own contextual criteria, and getting a contextual offer from one uni doesn't necessarily mean you'll get from from any others.

Have you carefully checked Warwick's contextual criteria? Are you sure you meet these criteria? If so, you could write to them and ask whether or not your application was considered against the standard or contextual requirements.

Obviously, just meeting the stated requirements (standard or contextual) does not mean you'd necessarily get an offer anyway. Many, many students meet the requirements but don't get offers for over-subscribed courses.

For what course were you applying?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You say that you "should've been able to get a contextual offer due to some cirumstances." Every university decides upon their own contextual criteria, and getting a contextual offer from one uni doesn't necessarily mean you'll get from from any others.

Have you carefully checked Warwick's contextual criteria? Are you sure you meet these criteria? If so, you could write to them and ask whether or not your application was considered against the standard or contextual requirements.

Obviously, just meeting the stated requirements (standard or contextual) does not mean you'd necessarily get an offer anyway. Many, many students meet the requirements but don't get offers for over-subscribed courses.

For what course were you applying?

Will consider thanks, I'm applying for law with a year abroad. Is it a competitive course to get into?
Original post by Anonymous
Will consider thanks, I'm applying for law with a year abroad. Is it a competitive course to get into?

I'll present two sources of information, and allow you to reach your own conclusions.

For Law generally (not your course specifically) there were 4700 applications for 2023 entry, of which 280 were accepted (i.e. obtained places). There are many, many reasons why a student might not obtain a place after having applied for one. They might not receive an offer, they may not firm/insure that offer (preferring to go elsewhere), they might miss their grades, they might decline their place (due to issue with finance, accommodation), etc., etc. So these numbers might look more depressing than they are in reality. (You can find this data by playing with the interactive graphs here.)

For your course specifically, The Uni Guide (here) tells us that although they ask for A*AA, a typical student on that course actually achieved AAA. That suggests a certain degree of flexibility - which is obviously a good thing. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hiya !
Congratulations on all your offers 🤩 don't let one rejection get you down.

Essex Law School is 9th in the UK, 3rd in UK for research power in law (Times Higher Education research power measure, REF2021) and Top 49 for Law in THE World University Rankings by Subject 2024 .

At Essex our approach is global in outlook, based on justice, and engaged with real-world problems.
You will develop a critical awareness of the nature of law within its social, political and economic contexts.
Not only will you learn legal rules, but you will also consider the function of law in society, the philosophy of law, policy issues and law reform. You will also be given the opportunity to choose modules from other departments and this really helps you complement your studies.
You cover all the key areas of law, as well as a wide range of optional topics including:

Copyright and trademark law

International environmental law

Law and literature

Human rights

The use of evidence

Our international diverse community of staff have direct connections and work with the UN, the UK government, and with EU and foreign governments.
You will gain work experience advising real clients through opportunities such as the Essex Law Clinic.

You will be given the opportunity to study abroad at one of your partner institutions around the world.
Have a look at all the countries you can go study here: MoveON - Welcome to the Exchange Finder (moveon4.com)

My advice as a former student is that you accept the other universities offers and attend open days so you can speak with departments and also see the facilities but you can still apply through clearing to Warwick even thought you have accepted other universities offers.
This is a good option in case something goes wrong and don't forget nothing is set in stone you can always change your mind.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions don't hesitate in contacting me.

Essex Official Rep- Cat😊
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1

I could be wrong but I went to the open day for Warwick and I’m sure they said for Law there is no clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest