The Student Room Group

Integration Question - Need Help!

Find the area enclosed by the curve y=(x^2)+x−2 and the lines y=0, x=0 and x=2.

Give your answer as an exact whole number or decimal, or as a fraction in its lowest terms in the form p/q.

I made the limits -2 and 1 and then 1 and 2. Once I added them together I got 19/3, but that's wrong. I don't know what to do now... Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by alwaysneedadvice
Find the area enclosed by the curve y=(x^2)+x−2 and the lines y=0, x=0 and x=2.

Give your answer as an exact whole number or decimal, or as a fraction in its lowest terms in the form p/q.

I made the limits -2 and 1 and then 1 and 2. Once I added them together I got 19/3, but that's wrong. I don't know what to do now... Any help would be appreciated.

Probably best if you post your working.
You've got your limits wrong. I don't know if you've sketched it, if you haven't do so, but you don't want to be having any limit that is smaller than 0 because x=0 is one of the lines enclosing the area you're trying to find.
Start by sketching it and shading the bits you want to find
Try drawing a sketch of the graph to help you. Consider where the graph crosses the x-axis and whether you need to do 2 separate intervals or not.
Original post by old_engineer
Probably best if you post your working.

Sorry for the confusion. Don't worry about it, I figured it out now!
Original post by Fibonacci28
You've got your limits wrong. I don't know if you've sketched it, if you haven't do so, but you don't want to be having any limit that is smaller than 0 because x=0 is one of the lines enclosing the area you're trying to find.
Start by sketching it and shading the bits you want to find

Original post by loubielou123
Try drawing a sketch of the graph to help you. Consider where the graph crosses the x-axis and whether you need to do 2 separate intervals or not.

Quick Reply

Latest