The Student Room Group

Help on a level maths question.

I'm having trouble with two of the questions on one of the integral mathematics tests (CIE Mechanics N1 to be specific). I'm gonna paste them below if anyone can get the answer or has the answers from integral that they can send across that would be great. (I don't want/need any explanation I've genuinely been trying to answer them for months--yes I asked my teacher she said she'd help then never did--and just want the answers so I can unlock the answer sheet which shows it step by step).

Q9: A lorry weighing 3 tonnes is travelling at 10ms^-1. What is the force needed to stop it in 10 metres?

Q10: A miners' cage of mass 420 kg contains 3 miners of total mass 280 kg. The cage is lowered from rest by a cable. For the first 10 seconds the cage accelerates uniformly and descends a distance of 75 m. What is the force in the cable during the first 10 seconds in Newtons?
(Take g = 10 ms^-2)

Thank you to anyone who's taken the time to look at this. :smile:
Well, if you did try to answer them for months, did you write down anything, be it correct or not?

A bit meta here, but I think folks, especially on TSR, tend to over-value the solution/marking scheme. It's really not that helpful IMO.

---

Anyhow, here is a hint for Q9 that you said you don't want (holding off on Q10 for now):

Well, we know F=ma. We know m, the mass of the lorry (which is 3 tonnes - make it in kg please for goodness sake), so we need to find a - the acceleration. As is often the case, writing down what you know and what you want to find symbolically is a good idea.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
After extensive googling and getting more penalties than there are points available the answers are:
Q9: 15000N
Q10: 5950N
(If anyone's looking for other answers from this test or another cie integral test let me know and I'll send the answers over if I've got them.)
Reply 3
Original post by tonyiptony
Well, if you did try to answer them for months, did you write down anything, be it correct or not?

A bit meta here, but I think folks, especially on TSR, tend to over-value the solution/marking scheme. It's really not that helpful IMO.

---

Anyhow, here is a hint for Q9 that you said you don't want (holding off on Q10 for now):

Well, we know F=ma. We know m, the mass of the lorry (which is 3 tonnes - make it in kg please for goodness sake), so we need to find a - the acceleration. As is often the case, writing down what you know and what you want to find symbolically is a good idea.

I was working from the initial question each time. I really don't appreciate a "hint" when, as I said, I simply can't get the answer after looking at it every which way. I actually find it quite condescending. I know how I work and do personally find going though mark schemes to understand where I went wrong to be very useful.
P.S. The first thing I did was put it in kg the initial question was in tonnes and I was putting it in word for word.
Reply 4
Original post by NoxDuck
I'm having trouble with two of the questions on one of the integral mathematics tests (CIE Mechanics N1 to be specific). I'm gonna paste them below if anyone can get the answer or has the answers from integral that they can send across that would be great. (I don't want/need any explanation I've genuinely been trying to answer them for months--yes I asked my teacher she said she'd help then never did--and just want the answers so I can unlock the answer sheet which shows it step by step).

Q9: A lorry weighing 3 tonnes is travelling at 10ms^-1. What is the force needed to stop it in 10 metres?

Q10: A miners' cage of mass 420 kg contains 3 miners of total mass 280 kg. The cage is lowered from rest by a cable. For the first 10 seconds the cage accelerates uniformly and descends a distance of 75 m. What is the force in the cable during the first 10 seconds in Newtons?
(Take g = 10 ms^-2)

Hi i can help you however im not sure if my solution would be of use to you since it involves suvat equations and being from scotland im not sure if this is the way its done for a-levels (we do highers and advanced highers here). but if you would like id be more than happy to help out:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by charlie(:
Original post by NoxDuck

(Take g = 10 ms^-2)

Hi i can help you however im not sure if my solution would be of use to you since it involves suvat equations and being from scotland im not sure if this is the way its done for a-levels (we do highers and advanced highers here). but if you would like id be more than happy to help out:smile:

Q9) https://imgur.com/7v3DvLh

Q10 https://imgur.com/eEckavF
Reply 6
Original post by charlie(:
Original post by NoxDuck

(Take g = 10 ms^-2)

ive tried to upload my solutions but they are being held for review cus they’re imgur links

Quick Reply

Latest