The Student Room Group

Oxford - Economics and Management

Hi, I’m in year 12 and currently my subjects are Maths, Economics and German. I would like to study economics and management at Oxford uni and other universities as well, but I’m not doing further maths, will this be a massive disadvantage?

I heard the acceptance rate is also really low, so does anyone have ‘tips’ to make my UCAS/ personal statement stand out?

Any book recommendations are greatly appreciated!

I’ve also tried looking for extra curricular things to do with management but I haven’t found any yet? I’m attending a management consultantcy type workshop, but I have no idea what else to do?

For other universities like UCL, is it a disadvantage if I don’t do further maths? (For management)

Any advice or any tips greatly appreciated! It’s okay to be blunt, I don’t mind, I’d rather know reality than to hope meaninglessly.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Qwasdz5
Hi, I’m in year 12 and currently my subjects are Maths, Economics and German. I would like to study economics and management at Oxford uni and other universities as well, but I’m not doing further maths, will this be a massive disadvantage?

I heard the acceptance rate is also really low, so does anyone have ‘tips’ to make my UCAS/ personal statement stand out?

Any book recommendations are greatly appreciated!

I’ve also tried looking for extra curricular things to do with management but I haven’t found any yet? I’m attending a management consultantcy type workshop, but I have no idea what else to do?

For other universities like UCL, is it a disadvantage if I don’t do further maths? (For management)

Any advice or any tips greatly appreciated! It’s okay to be blunt, I don’t mind, I’d rather know reality than to hope meaninglessly.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Tbh, it is so competitive that having a strong statement is the bare minimum. Ensure you score highly on the TSA and that you have a perfect academic record.
As Bow566 mentioned, a high score on the TSA would be desirable. However, there have been applicants that had a strong TSA score but weren't shortlisted for interview. I, myself, scored badly on the TSA (because of personal circumstances) but was lucky enough to be shortlisted for the interview.

In terms of personal statement, I would recommend focusing on the quality rather than quantity and ensure that there is a link between the super-curricular activities that you choose to do. So for example you could say that you did X which inspired you to do Y and this shows that you're academically inquisitive. But most importantly, when writing it, ask yourself if your personal statement answers why you want to study this subject - it's pointless stating that you've done all these extra activities if you're not telling the admissions tutor why you want to study it.

In terms of books, I would highly recommend Tim Harford's 'Undercover economist'. It brilliantly explains how economics is present within our lives. There are other niche books including 'Freakonomics', etc but I wouldn't recommending reading them as admissions team are likely to see these books stated in many applications - so it wouldn't make you really stand out.

For the management side of the Oxford course, I wouldn't stress too much about it because I think Oxford doesn't expect you to have any prior knowledge on this area as they're likely to cover the basic concepts in 1st year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending