Hi! I'm a student studying in UK and moving up to Year 13 in Sept. My A-level subjects are economics, mathematics, further maths and physics. I'm deciding between E&M at Oxford or Econs at Cambridge. #uni application
- I've been always thinking of applying to Oxford E&M as I think it's a more comprehensive course than Cambridge and I've been to the open day in late June which I found quite enjoyable.
- However, economics at Cambridge seems to be more mathematical which is definitely a better suit for me.
- For other unis, I'd like to apply to Maths, Statistics and business for LSE and Statistics, economics and finance for UCL. Therefore, from an overall profile, Cambridge might be a better choice? (p.s. I've seen posts here saying E&M involves a huge amount of essay writing in the first year and I absolutely HATE writing, but I'm not sure for the second and the third year we are allowed to pick courses that are more related to maths. Can anyone who has taken this course or graduated from E&M provide me with some information about it?)
- Oxford weighs TSA a lot; literally feel like as long as I achieve a super good score in tsa, I have a 70% chance of being able to get in lol, plus they put personal statements at a low priority. I'm not quite clear on how Cambridge weighs the TMUA test and other evidence. I'm personally a student who is good at sitting tests.
- There are two other students at my school who also plan to apply to study economics at Cambridge University. As an international student, I am concerned that I am not at an advantage compared to these two citizens. Furthermore, it is unlikely that Cambridge will accept more than one student from the same school for the same course. (at least this has never happened at my school before.)
- I've nearly finished the first draft of my personal statements and I would say 80% is about statistics and economics, plus some finance. I don't plan on altering the themes, as the topics I wrote about are the ones that I found most enjoyable.
I will be really grateful for any information or suggestions provided! xx