The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I've fortunately received offers from Imperial and Bristol and I’m struggling to decide which uni to firm.
Looking at the research opportunities and the way the course is delivered, I prefer Imperial. In terms of location, I prefer London as there’s so much to do and explore.
But at the same time, when I went to the offer holder day for Bristol, the environment was very nice and the people there seemed more friendly.
I'm not sure where to choose so would appreciate any views or advice.
I have achieved grades btw.
Original post by blueskies4
Hi, I've fortunately received offers from Imperial and Bristol and I’m struggling to decide which uni to firm.
Looking at the research opportunities and the way the course is delivered, I prefer Imperial. In terms of location, I prefer London as there’s so much to do and explore.
But at the same time, when I went to the offer holder day for Bristol, the environment was very nice and the people there seemed more friendly.

one consideration would be to check where in London the Imperial medicine course is based after first year as have read posts on here which imply it’s in South Kensington whereas another poster stated it’s more West London/ Hammersmith 2nd year onwards
( looks to be near the Westway)
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by blueskies4

You have to weigh up how important location, research opportunities, friendliness and course structure is to you.

Regarding research, just cause a centre is famous for research doesn't mean you will actually benefit from it. Getting to do research requires a bit of luck with taking initiative and finding the right mentor. You can do just as well at a less prestigious place just because of the way speciality applications work.

My experience was I went to KCL and never was able to find any research opportunities, I ended up doing Foundation in East Anglia and found someone to help me in UEA and was able to get a few published that way. The last FY2 year had 2 doctors who studied at UEA and found a mentor there, was able to published loads and got training posts in ENT and Dermatology. Thats pretty good to get these specialties at the first application.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by youngstudent
You have to weigh up how important location, research opportunities, friendliness and course structure is to you.

Regarding research, just cause a centre is famous for research doesn't mean you will actually benefit from it. Getting to do research requires a bit of luck with taking initiative and finding the right mentor. You can do just as well at a less prestigious place just because of the way speciality applications work.

My experience was I went to KCL and never was able to find any research opportunities, I ended up doing Foundation in East Anglia and found someone to help me in UEA and was able to get a few published that way. The last FY2 year had 2 doctors who studied at UEA and found a mentor there, was able to published loads and got training posts in ENT and Dermatology. Thats pretty good to get these specialties at the first application.

that’s great to hear - useful experience to hear about for undergraduate applicants
think this post would be appreciated on the UEA A100 2023 thread, too
Original post by Jessi2004
OFFERRR from HYMS after being waitlisted!!! :banana:I’m so so happy and so so glad that this gruelling wait is finally over! Like for a lot of med school applicants, these past few months have been so taxing and stressful with the long waiting times, interviews, exams and life. I’m very grateful to have the privilege of actually starting med school in September and for all the hard work to finally pay off. It just feels to surreal!! It hasn’t been easy but this platform has made this experience more tolerable! The advice given here is invaluable. There are others out there who charge quite a lot of money to give this sort of personalised advice yet there are lovely people on here doing the same but at the expense of their own precious time. You’re all amazing!❤️

I don’t want to make this post too long (I will post a gap year success story) but there are so many people rooting for me, so many well wishers. I’m so incredibly grateful for every single one of you. The support between applicants has been so admirable. I can’t tag everyone unfortunately otherwise I’ll be here for months but special mention to the following people!❤️❤️

Namely @Faisal101 and @medic0975 of course who have been amazing! @Faisal101 for his endless supply of Instagram reels, witty comments and support. @medic0975 for her kindness, wisdom, humour and supportive nature. I couldn't have gotten this far without you both.

Also:
@MedMama
@MedMom
@GANFYD
@Medpapa
@mumivator
@IBkidinthecorner
@TCL
@sharontL
@waterserpent
@Chi chi5
@Moxy22
@sara174
@medmumma
And everyone else. Please forgive me if I've forgotten anyone!:ahhhhh:

Thank you once again- I couldn't have done it without all of you!❤❤

Omg this is incredible and so well deserved. So happy to read this 👏👏👏👏👏
Original post by sharontL

Thank you so much!!!❤❤
Reply 5986
Original post by kimmy63
No-one has suggested requesting feedback from the university. Some are reluctant to share/provide but I think you can request access to his interview results Uber FOI rules. There may be something useful in that to help focus on.

Thank you will do that maybe give us insight into how the interview was scored etc his strength/weaknesses.

Thanks again everyone has been super helpful 🙏
hey guys, do you know if someone decides to for for GEM, do the universities have specific requirements of what the degree you have studied is? eg computer science or engineering?
Reply 5988
Original post by B7861
hey guys, do you know if someone decides to for for GEM, do the universities have specific requirements of what the degree you have studied is? eg computer science or engineering?

Some want a life science degree, some are happy with anything - but usually make you sit the GAMSAT to prove you have enough scientific knowledge!
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf
2024 version of this will be out soon
Original post by sharontL

and lovely to see @sharontL back posting on TSR
@Jessi2004 brings people together
Some wishful thinking of mine but thought will ask..

Has it ever happened that someone whose been rejected is still called by the university with an offer.
Reply 5991
Original post by Worriermum

Has it ever happened that someone whose been rejected is still called by the university with an offer.

Absolutely! I have known lots of people get places this way, pre-covid. Waiting lists may lower the chances, unfortunately, but they are not non-existent
Reply 5992
Original post by Worriermum

It’s not quite the same, but this year’s vet med application round has seen many more offers from the wait lists than during the last 2 COVID application cycles, so hopefully medicine will be the same🤞🏻🤞🏻
Original post by GANFYD
Absolutely! I have known lots of people get places this way, pre-covid. Waiting lists may lower the chances, unfortunately, but they are not non-existent

Thankyou so much it gave bit of hope to hang on to in the current grim scenario.
We have been moved to ARU reserve list not sure how much to rely on that. May be in june will email them and ask where we are on the list.
Original post by Euapp
It’s not quite the same, but this year’s vet med application round has seen many more offers from the wait lists than during the last 2 COVID application cycles, so hopefully medicine will be the same🤞🏻🤞🏻

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
Reply 5995
Currently on a waiting list. Does anyone have any advice about the UCAT ? When to take it for instance and how you prepared . My UCAT score let me down this time scored 2640 . Used Medify for 4-5 weeks and was doing well in the mocks 2800 and above but bombed the real thing
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5996
Hi,

Does anyone know whether UCLAN or Buckingham is a better uni to attend for medicine?

I've really been stuck on this decision for a long time and so I'd really appreciate some advice :smile:
Reply 5997
Do we receive licensing in the UK after we finish undergrad or is it after FY1 and FY2
Reply 5998
Original post by Oinkeee
Hi,

Does anyone know whether UCLAN or Buckingham is a better uni to attend for medicine?

I've really been stuck on this decision for a long time and so I'd really appreciate some advice :smile:

UCLan
Reply 5999
Original post by isa04
UCLan

why would u prefer UCLan?

Latest

Trending

Trending