The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6540
Original post by Euapp
No

Not without significant extenuating circumstances

I did have one FY1 who did this due to some significant caring issues
Hi, so I am still deciding between biochemistry and medicine, but I have already applied to volunteer in a hospital( it takes 8 months, so I have to apply early). I wonder if volunteering in a hospital is helpful even if i ended up choosing biochemistry?
Original post by thegigachad
Hi, so I am still deciding between biochemistry and medicine, but I have already applied to volunteer in a hospital( it takes 8 months, so I have to apply early). I wonder if volunteering in a hospital is helpful even if i ended up choosing biochemistry?

Biochemistry and medicine are very different. What careers are you interested in for biochemistry, and what specifically interests you about them. And why are you interested in becoming a doctor? I think hospital volunteering will help you answer half of that question
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6543
Original post by Medpapa
Not without significant extenuating circumstances

I did have one FY1 who did this due to some significant caring issues

Admittedly it was vet med and not med, but one of my daughters cohort was allowed to transfer for very significant health problems, but they had to start again from first year because the teaching methods and order of curriculum was not addressed in an identical fashion.
Original post by Elle6363
Ok so I just did my ucat and I wanted some advice on where to apply !
I feel like my stats are pretty average but I still somewhat have a chance .

My GSCEs : 9,8,8,8,8,8,6,5,5 , Distinction **

The 6 is in eng lang and two 5’s in spanish and eng lit . ( yes languages is my downfall )

A level prediction of : A* ,A ,A

UCAT:

VR:660
DM:670
QR:750
AR:710

TOTAL : 2790

Band 2

That’s pretty much it I’ve done hospital volunteering and work experience aswell . I’d appreciate any advice xx

Post in this thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527&page=42 and follow format from first post.
Original post by medic0975
Post in this thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527&page=42 and follow format from first post.

Ok thank youuuuu !!
Reply 6546
Original post by medic0975

Your stats are excellent and you scored well in your UCAT, try ARU, SGUL, Leicester and UEA they should match you well especially SGUL as you scored over 500 in each section of UCAT so pretty much guaranteed an interview.
Original post by Pramela
Your stats are excellent and you scored well in your UCAT, try ARU, SGUL, Leicester and UEA they should match you well especially SGUL as you scored over 500 in each section of UCAT so pretty much guaranteed an interview.

Thank you !
Reply 6548
Hi guys,

I really need to decide what med uni's to apply to but I have no idea (other than Cardiff).
Here are my stats:
A*A*A* predicted in Bio, Chem, Psychology
A* in EPQ
GCSEs: 10 9's (A*s)
UCAT: 2650, Band 1

Everything is great other than my UCAT which is really dragging me down. I'm looking at Cardiff, Keele, Kent and Medway, Queen's Uni Belfast, Hull & York, St Andrews, and Birmingham. (Really need to narrow it down).

If anyone would be able to give me advice on this, it would be much appreciated!
Original post by 16abcd
Hi guys,

I really need to decide what med uni's to apply to but I have no idea (other than Cardiff).
Here are my stats:
A* in EPQ

Everything is great other than my UCAT which is really dragging me down. I'm looking at Cardiff, Keele, Kent and Medway, Queen's Uni Belfast, Hull & York, St Andrews, and Birmingham. (Really need to narrow it down).

If anyone would be able to give me advice on this, it would be much appreciated!

Have you checked Nottingham?
Original post by 16abcd
Hi guys,

Here are my stats:
A* in EPQ

you score 58.5 for leicester so that might be a shout.
Reply 6551
Original post by 16abcd
Hi guys,

Here are my stats:
A* in EPQ

Need to post all your stats as per the format given in the first post of the thread for people to advise 😊
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527&p=98849715&page=241#post98849715
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by h4nn4
you score 58.5 for leicester so that might be a shout.

Isn’t that 1 point below last years cutoff? So it’s a pretty big risk
Original post by B7861
Isn’t that 1 point below last years cutoff? So it’s a pretty big risk

it's one point below last years but they started differentiating between 8s and 9s this year so you can expect cut off to decrease and a decrease of one point isn't unrealistic
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by h4nn4
it's one point below last years but they started differentiating between 8s and 9s this year so you can expect cut off to decrease and a decrease of one point isn't unrealistic

I guess you have good point
I gave biology in A level but not in IGCSE. I scored A*s in bio, phys, chem and math in A level and A*s in IGCSE phys, chem, and math, A in English as a second language, B in computer science.

I didn't give biology in igcse but only in A level because of life-changing stuff that happened in my life so I decided to retake biology in A level.

Knowing that I didn't give biology in igcse, can i still apply for medicine in Uni?
Any help is highly appreciated , tysm for your time.

Latest

Trending

Trending