The Student Room Group

Supreme Court says Uber drivers are workers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
I am sure Uber are trying to game it every way they can; but so are the canny drivers. How many Uber drivers won't hand over a business card if asked?.

I'm sure it suits some to portray casualised and manipulated workers as thrusting entrepreneurs, but if you spend a few minutes googling driver experiences with Uber in London, it quickly becomes apparent that many work 50-60 hour weeks for an effective rate of less than £2 an hour, Uber dominate their lives and they soon lose work if they fail to show up all hours and do exactly as Uber wants them to do.
Original post by nulli tertius
I am sure Uber are trying to game it every way they can; but so are the canny drivers. How many Uber drivers won't hand over a business card if asked?.

I don't know why I'd ask for a card anymore... back in the day it'd be so I had something with the minicab company phone number on it... so I could call another minicab later but that seems pretty obsolete these days.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I'm sure it suits some to portray casualised and manipulated workers as thrusting entrepreneurs, but if you spend a few minutes googling driver experiences with Uber in London, it quickly becomes apparent that many work 50-60 hour weeks for an effective rate of less than £2 an hour, Uber dominate their lives and they soon lose work if they fail to show up all hours and do exactly as Uber wants them to do.

Be careful how you interpret samples of data.

If you review all feedback censoring entirely of disgruntled drivers you’ll skew your results.

You need to take a representative sample of all drivers.

I’m going to assume that Uber drivers work on the same principal as minicab drivers or Hackney carriage drivers. Tempeh register with a firm, pay a stipend to that firm for the use of its booking system and earn off the fares you get.

If you have no fares you don’t earn. Those £2 an hour stories can be down to driving at the wrong time. Covering the wrong areas and picking up the wrong passengers.

More traditional taxi drivers will be very selective who they pick up. Drunk people in a city centre may be wanting a worthwhile journey, equally they may only be interested in a 400m journey to the next pub.

Even the long journeys don’t pay too well. You’re earning taking them a long distance, you’re not earning returning with an empty taxi. That’s why some people can get refused a taxi to out of town.

Any industry that favours in piecemeal payments Will have a few major winners. A few major losers and a lot more People in middle who are getting paid the relevant rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending