The Student Room Group

I9 vs M1

which chip is better the intel i9 or apple m1
Original post by Rohan007best
which chip is better the intel i9 or apple m1

Laptop or desktop? What will you be using the computer for?
laptop mainly for uniwork maybe some video editing and light gaming
Original post by Rohan007best
laptop mainly for uniwork maybe some video editing and light gaming

For uni work and video editing I'd say the M1, everything other than hardcore editing will be handled happily by the M1 and the substantial power efficiency advantage make it the better solution most of the time.

Light gaming really depends on how light you're talking, but unless you're thinking solely 2D indie and very low intensity esport titles, I'd be looking for an option with dedicated GPU. The M1's inbuilt graphics are great for an integrated solution, but they still run pretty hard into a brick wall when playing modern 3D titles, just as you'd expect from any iGPU, and while the transition to M1 has been shockingly smooth, having to essentially run most games in an emulated environment will mean running into compatibility issues more frequently than simply running native on Windows.

For something with a similar size/portability profile to the MacBook Pro with some more grunt for gaming, I'd strongly recommend looking at the Asus G14 with Ryzen 5 4600HS processor and 1650ti graphics. The processor performs falls somewhere in the same territory as the M1 and i9-10980HK (despite not even being a R7 or R9, fourth gen Ryzen are just badass) while the full fat GPU will happily handle any game not named Cyberpunk at high-ultra settings with playable 30fps+ frame rates, rather than gambling on whether you can get newer games to run at low on any integrated solution. This is while still being nice and portable with only a few extra mm of thickness and 200g of weight over the MacBook Pro (22mm and 1.6kg, to be exact), and coming in even cheaper than the base MacBook Air.

https://www.box.co.uk/GA401II-HE025T-ASUS-ROG-Zephyrus-G14-GA401II-HE025T_2962797.html
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending