The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no :p:
rivers dont change direction that dramatically!
it runs from ethiopia to egypt, definatelty not east to west! :biggrin:
Reply 2
:biggrin:. i think i was out of it when i was listening to the song and i was like whoah, really? but thanks for clearing that up.
Reply 3
It runs north to south, but someone correct me if i'm wrong, are there two branches of the river (an east and a west) that join to form the main nile river?
Reply 4
Songs don't usually have historical accuracy as a priority...
snail_87
It runs north to south, but someone correct me if i'm wrong, are there two branches of the river (an east and a west) that join to form the main nile river?

Yeah that's right. Isn't that why there's disputes over whether it's really the biggest river in the world, cause essentially it's 2 rivers?
Reply 6
quadruple_twist
Yeah that's right. Isn't that why there's disputes over whether it's really the biggest river in the world, cause essentially it's 2 rivers?

i thought the amazon was the biggest? or is that just the widest, there's a debate over what biggest means.
widest: amazon
deepest: ?
longest: nile yes most probably.

ought one to include tributaries? let's ask a geographer.
Socrates

QFT.

The Yangtze in China is the deepest, I think.
Socrates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKu2QaytmrM

Sorry, I'll go now.
Reply 9
snail_87

It would probably be better to say it ran from South to North, seeing as that is the direction the water runs. Makes it less confusing.
the river nile was used by moses when he turned it into blood to stop the pharoah crossing
blackdragonthegreat
the river nile was used by moses when he turned it into blood to stop the pharoah crossing

Any proof for that?
Reply 12
The river will never have changed direction physically speaking.
But every 10,000 years or so the poles switch (so the north becomes the south and vice versa). So maybe this is where the idea came from?
Liquidus Zeromus
Any proof for that?

proof? its a fundamental belief
Reply 14
blackdragonthegreat
proof? its a fundamental belief

either you're being sarcastic or... idk.
Haha I don't think so.
Reply 16
Part of it did
The Nile flowed from south to north at an average speed of about four knots during inundation season. The water level was on average about 25-33 feet deep and navigation was fast. That made a river voyage from Thebes (modern Luxor) north to Memphis (near modern Cairo) lasting approximately two weeks. During the dryer season when the water level was lower, and speed slower, the same trip would last about two months. At the great bend near Qena, the Nile would flow from west to east and then back from east to west, slowing down travel. No sailing was done at night because of the danger of running aground on one of the many sandbank and low islands.
Reply 17
maybe he means the west nile virus which ran from eastern to western hemispheres and also east to west across the US?
Reply 18
The Nile is the longest river, and the Amazon is the largest river in terms of average discharge (with a total river flow greater than the next eight largest rivers combined.)
I believe the song is actually made in allusion to a prophecy made by Edgar Cayce. He once announced that the Nile River in Africa used to travel from the same source and flowed in a western direction towards the Atlantic Ocean instead of the Mediterranean Sea as it does now (crossing Egypt and the Pyramids)

Reading #364-13:
Edgar Cayce: "The Nile entered into the Atlantic Ocean. What is now the Sahara was an inhabited land and very fertile. What is now the central portion of this country, or the Mississippi basin, was then all in the ocean; only the plateau was existent, or the regions that are now portions of Nevada, Utah and Arizona formed the greater part of what we know as the United States"

It was then found on global satellite mapping systems that in fact the Nile once did flow west and actually DID empty into the Atlantic Ocean!

Latest

Trending

Trending