The Student Room Group

Cie As Maths

I don't understand , why it x-2=1 or -1, how they got the -1 ? and how to sketch this graph
(edited 3 years ago)
Screenshot 2021-03-16 095234.jpg
They just solved it by f(x) = 5
Reply 3
Original post by Sasha Shasha
I don't understand , why it x-2=1 or -1, how they got the -1 ? and how to sketch this graph

Have you plugged in x values in order to sketch / understand the function?
-1 comes about because when you square both -1 and 1, you get 1.
Original post by mqb2766
Have you plugged in x values in order to sketch / understand the function?
-1 comes about because when you square both -1 and 1, you get 1.

I kinda understand the question now but how to sketch graph for function ?
Reply 5
The old way. Plug x values in and calculate the y values, then join the dots. Its the level zero method. then think when it's >= 5.

Alternatively, plot
1/x
1/x^2
5/(x-2)^2
So start simple, then consider simple transformations.
Screenshot 2021-03-16 095234.jpg

If the denominator was greater than 1, it would break the function's parameters. x-2 can equal -1 as well because it will get squared, making it equal to 1.
(edited 3 years ago)
break the function's parameters ? Would you explain me a lilttle bit more , cause I couldnt figure out how they plot this graph
Reply 8
break the function's parameters ? Would you explain me a lilttle bit more , cause I couldnt figure out how they plot this graph

Break the functions parameters doesn't really mean anything. Use desmos.com to check it's right, play with changing the function parameters.

Or, as per previous post, sub values into it and plot/join the points which is the naive/fall back method. A more insightful method is to plot 1/x (which you should know) and then consider the simple transformations mentioned in the previous post. Upload what you've tried.
(edited 3 years ago)

The range is set. f(x) cannot be less than 5. Only greater than or equal to 5. That is the 'limitation' on the function. Therefore x-2 MUST be between -1 and 1. If x-2 = 2 for example, f(x) = 1.25 which is not possible.
I'm a bad explainer, sorry. I'll quit trying to explain things to people 😂
Original post by mqb2766
Break the functions parameters doesn't really mean anything. Use desmos.com to check it's right, play with changing the function parameters.

Or, as per previous post, sub values into it and plot/join the points which is the naive/fall back method. A more insightful method is to plot 1/x (which you should know) and then consider the simple transformations mentioned in the previous post. Upload what you've tried.

How does it not mean anything? It is a set rule that f(x) must be greater than or equal to 5. If the denominator is greater than 1, it disrupts the rule. I understand that I'm bad at explaining things (which is why I'm quitting the act) but I don't talk out of my ass 😂
I tried to keep the original comment fairly neutral. It doesn't mean much because which function parameter isn't clear or why it breaks the inequality. Also the OP was by then asking about how to plot the graph, which doesn't break.
OP was asking about the inequalities
1 < x < 3
Corresponding to f(x)>=5. Looks like a typo and they should be
1 <= x <= 3 (corrected)
(edited 3 years ago)
Why x<=5 ?
Original post by mqb2766
OP was asking about the inequalities
1 < x < 3
Corresponding to f(x)>=5. Looks like a typo and they should be
1 <= x <= 5

What does the dotted line says in the graph and why the inequality sign is 1<x<3 not same as f(x)≥5 , ( ≥)
What does the dotted line says in the graph and why the inequality sign is 1<x<3 not same as f(x)≥5 , ( ≥)

I answered the inequality sign error in the previous post. Corrected typo.
The dotted lines just represent the x values
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
I answered the inequality sign error in the previous post. Corrected typo.
The dotted lines just represent the x values

Thank you soo much :h:

Quick Reply

Latest