The Student Room Group

English language paper 2 question 5

international travel isn't worth the cost.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my agreement with regards to the recent article: ‘International travel is not worth the cost’ published Thursday 23rd April. I believe that international travel can be very expensive when there are a lot of places to explore in the UK. Secondly, international travel is extremely homesickening specifically for students who may be abroad for the first time. Lastly, international travel can be very tiring, especially for families with young children as they are constantly teasing their parents.

International travel is surely expensive given that here in the UK there are a lot of places to explore at the fraction of the price. Evidence from ‘The Telegraph’, shows the average cost for a one-way ticket from London Heathrow to France is three hundred pounds. In comparison, a one-way train ticket from London King’s Cross to Brighton is only thirty pounds. That's ten times more expensive to travel internationally. In Brighton, there’s a plethora of places to explore: Brighton Beach, The Royal Pavilion and the Sea Life Aquarium in Brighton. Brighton Beach is an award-winning beach, winning the ‘Best Beach in Europe 2019’. Every single day, the sizzling sun would always angelically smile to the people who are at Brighton Beach consistently making them elated with joy whereas in Paris this barely occurs as there’s always torrential rain plummeting onto the people. Not only is it cheaper in Brighton, but it is also more enjoyable because in Paris there isn’t a great climate.

Furthermore, international travel can lead to extreme bouts of homesickness, isolation and loneliness. This is particularly the case for students who may be travelling without the support of their families for the first time. According to the WHO, it presents that ninety-eight per cent of British students who are studying in Amsterdam are utterly homesick, whereas four-point nine per cent of British students who are studying in London aren’t homesick. As from the statistics, international travel is twenty times more homsickening. The capital city of England: London is overabounded with universities. King’s College London, Imperial College and Queen Mary University, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Not only that, London achieved the award being the “Most-Favorited Universities in the World” in June 2020. How? University life in London is the place of excelling-progress, but also it allows students to slide in a moment to joke around with friends. Be informed, that this never occurs in Amsterdam; hard to believe there’s no university life like that in Amsterdam. London isn’t home sickening and even better it’s a privilege to be studying in London rather than in Amsterdam.

Finally, international travel can cause a burden of tiredness when children constantly cry, yell and whine. From my personal experience, travelling to Paris from London Heathrow with a toddler can be a nightmare. During the interminable flight, my four year old son would cry, yell and whine, literally from not having sweets during the flight. Hastily, I would rummage through all our carry bags hoping that there would be sweets in the bag, but frankly there weren’t any. That exacerbated his crying, yelling and whining even further tiring me. That was a myriad of suffering just on an hour journey to Paris. Just arriving at the hotel I felt like this journey was over when it was just the beginning. Literally, I wished to go to the Eiffel Tower, but from my son exploding with tears I couldn’t and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. There many other places I planned on going but instead I had a loss of five hundred euros from booking tickets as my son never stopped bawling.

Thank you for considering my letter; I look forward to your reply.

Yours Faithfully,

SIGNATURE

S.COOPER (MR)
is this for the language 2020 paper ?
Original post by SkrSkrr80
is this for the language 2020 paper ?

no this is cgp

Quick Reply

Latest