The Student Room Group

Chemistry A level help!!

Q2.Samples of 1-chloropropane and ethanoyl chloride can be distinguished by the addition of
an aqueous solution of silver nitrate.
State what you would observe with each sample.
Observation with 1-chloropropane
Observation with ethanoyl chloride.

the answer is that ethanol chloride gives a white precipitate but there is no visible change with 1-chloropropane

why is this?
Original post by Charlotte1303
Q2.Samples of 1-chloropropane and ethanoyl chloride can be distinguished by the addition of
an aqueous solution of silver nitrate.
State what you would observe with each sample.
Observation with 1-chloropropane
Observation with ethanoyl chloride.

the answer is that ethanol chloride gives a white precipitate but there is no visible change with 1-chloropropane

why is this?

check the reaction of GCSE chemical tests with silver nitrates, and check why the different structures of the two compounds means they might react differently.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
check the reaction of GCSE chemical tests with silver nitrates, and check why the different structures of the two compounds means they might react differently.

I still don't understand, as wouldn't both of them form Agcl, as they both have a cl in their molecule?
Original post by Charlotte1303
I still don't understand, as wouldn't both of them form Agcl, as they both have a cl in their molecule?

that's what I thought, but maybe forces like London forces if one has a double bond, etc? Do you have an answer sheet/can find the answer online? What is the answer and what explanation does it give?

Quick Reply

Latest