The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing chemistry for a neuroscience degree?

I have recently started my A-Levels and I am currently doing Maths, Biology, Psychology and Chemistry.I am definitely going to keep doing Maths and Biology but I am going to drop either Chemistry or Psychology. I am very interested in doing a degree in neuroscience and am wondering if I would regret it if I dropped chemistry. My least favourite subject of my options is chemistry and I think I would get a higher grade in psychology but I am unsure if I will be put at a disadvantage if I don’t take chemistry.
Reply 1
Original post by bean00
I have recently started my A-Levels and I am currently doing Maths, Biology, Psychology and Chemistry.I am definitely going to keep doing Maths and Biology but I am going to drop either Chemistry or Psychology. I am very interested in doing a degree in neuroscience and am wondering if I would regret it if I dropped chemistry. My least favourite subject of my options is chemistry and I think I would get a higher grade in psychology but I am unsure if I will be put at a disadvantage if I don’t take chemistry.

Hi

Apparently chemistry is important for neuroscience so I’d recommend keeping it as long as you’re not struggling with the subject. Also it would keep more doors open for you if you decided to study medicine, pharmacy, vet school ect down the line as a post graduate.

Good luck with your studies. Neuroscience is my fallback choice, very interesting subject indeed.
Chemistry does have quite an overlap for neuroscience. Thus Chem bio maths combo is much more common and would offer a lot of different choices as the previous poster says.
Psychology at A level is more of case studies and essay based
Reply 3
Original post by $exyRum
Hi

Apparently chemistry is important for neuroscience so I’d recommend keeping it as long as you’re not struggling with the subject. Also it would keep more doors open for you if you decided to study medicine, pharmacy, vet school ect down the line as a post graduate.

Good luck with your studies. Neuroscience is my fallback choice, very interesting subject indeed.

Thank you so much for the help!
Reply 4
Original post by Bookworm524
Chemistry does have quite an overlap for neuroscience. Thus Chem bio maths combo is much more common and would offer a lot of different choices as the previous poster says.
Psychology at A level is more of case studies and essay based

Ok, thank you for the help!
Reply 5
Check out the entry requirements for the universities you think you might study Neuroscience at. Some of them require Chemistry A level, more do not and simply ask for "science" A levels which includes Maths and often psychology too.
Reply 6
Original post by Artjen
Check out the entry requirements for the universities you think you might study Neuroscience at. Some of them require Chemistry A level, more do not and simply ask for "science" A levels which includes Maths and often psychology too.

Ok will do that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest