The Student Room Group

Is band 3 situational judgement for UCAT a problem?

Hi. I am a rising senior and international student who got 3050 for the UCAT (570 VR, 790 DM, 800 QR, 890 AR). However, the problem is that I got a band 3 for situational judgment which sucks. Will that jeopardize my chances of getting an offer for medicine in the UK? I am planning to apply to A100 of Bristol and Edinburgh (at the moment).
I also read that some universities (like Bristol) don't consider STJ but I am afraid that it might reduce my chance of getting an offer during the interview. What do you think? For Edinburgh, they consider STJ so will Band 3 be a problem? Or should I choose other medical schools instead?
Congrats on your UCAT score! Some universities rank candidates based on their SJT band whereas other universities don't do that as long as your UCAT score is above the cut-off score. It might be a better idea to apply somewhere else instead of Edinburgh as candidates with band 1 or 2 have a higher chance of being called to interview. I'd say Bristol is a good option. Try this link: https://www.themedicportal.com/blog/how-do-medical-schools-use-the-sjt-for-2019-entry/ Hope this helps
It doesn’t need to be a problem but you need to be careful and do your research so you don’t waste your excellent cognitive score.

Avoid Nottingham for sure and HYMS. Birmingham use SJT score as 25% of post interview score so I would avoid there too.

UEA use SJT but they also use your cognitive score post interview which could compensate maybe.

Sheffield use SJT as an MMI station so it depends if you think you’ll be strong at interview and can compensate.

I don’t think Bristol look at SJT at all so definitely a good option!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending