The Student Room Group

Similarities between the American Revolution and its French and Russian counterparts?

Thomas Jefferson once approved of the French Revolution in the 1790s only to reassess it later in life, but would have any supporter of the American Revolution supported not only the French Revolution but also the Russian Revolution?
Reply 1
Best answer I can offer - "it depends". If you're contrasting them by methodology, don't forget that the Sons of Liberty used various tactics against suspected British supporters that offer comparison to the tactics used later in France and Russia.
Reply 2
Original post by PR_02
Best answer I can offer - "it depends". If you're contrasting them by methodology, don't forget that the Sons of Liberty used various tactics against suspected British supporters that offer comparison to the tactics used later in France and Russia.

Likewise, the French Revolution was driven by demands that would closely resemble what we would recognise as a democracy today, even if the resultant Reign of Terror failed to live up to such aspirations. Best answer I can offer is that across all three revolutions (and indeed all revolutions), there is a spectrum of moderates and radicals, the former assuming leadership in America, and the latter in France and Russia.
Reply 3
Original post by PR_02

I was talking about if any supporters of the American Revolution would've approved both the French and Russian Revolutions despite the both of them being more intrusive to the private sector and being motivated by totalitarian ideas.
Reply 4
Original post by PR_02
Likewise, the French Revolution was driven by demands that would closely resemble what we would recognise as a democracy today, even if the resultant Reign of Terror failed to live up to such aspirations. Best answer I can offer is that across all three revolutions (and indeed all revolutions), there is a spectrum of moderates and radicals, the former assuming leadership in America, and the latter in France and Russia.

I heard that the French Revolution has strayed from much of what we now call "classical liberalism" because of the holistic ideas of Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
Reply 5
Plenty did, after all the Russian absolute monarchy was not exactly approved of by many.. thats not to say they liked how it turned out but revolutions rarely, if ever, look like their original rosey picture.
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
Plenty did, after all the Russian absolute monarchy was not exactly approved of by many.. thats not to say they liked how it turned out but revolutions rarely, if ever, look like their original rosey picture.

Revolutions tend to get out of hand, especially when it involve changing one form of government into another within a country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending