The Student Room Group

A-level History Coursework Subjects

I am extremely stuck on what to do for my A level Coursework subject.
I do not want to do subjects that everyone else is doing (ww1,french revolution,ww2,civil war) and want to do something unique.I was thinking of doing something such as the causes of the Iranian revolution ,but Im not sure as it is something that interests me or maybe Catherine the great.Or I could do something such as Ancient Rome as I also take ancient history but am not sure on what to do and cannot do British empire as it is my course.Can someone offer me some advice please?
Reply 1
Original post by bmhbl
I am extremely stuck on what to do for my A level Coursework subject.
I do not want to do subjects that everyone else is doing (ww1,french revolution,ww2,civil war) and want to do something unique.I was thinking of doing something such as the causes of the Iranian revolution ,but Im not sure as it is something that interests me or maybe Catherine the great.Or I could do something such as Ancient Rome as I also take ancient history but am not sure on what to do and cannot do British empire as it is my course.Can someone offer me some advice please?

There are three related pieces of advice I can give.

1. LISTEN TO YOUR TEACHERS. Go chat to them. Explain to them what you’ve said in this thread. Ask for their advice. They’ve dealt with it more times than you can count. Chances are, they know what they’re talking about.

2. Be reasonable. Know where you are, what your access to resources and sources and interpretations are, and know your limitations. If there are only five primary sources in the world on your topic and they’re all in ancient Hebrew, then maybe leave that topic. That’s an exaggeration, but don’t do something you’ll struggle to find resources on. Your teachers will be able to guide you on this, see point 1.

3. Do something you are interested in. I was the only person in my class who did it on the Russian Revolution, which is a period of history that fascinates me. I’m so glad I did. After months of researching and weeks of drafting I was sick of the sight of that essay, and if it hadn’t been on a topic I loved then the procrastination would’ve turned into not doing it. Even though it was difficult, because I was passionate about and interested in the history, I was able to dig deep and soldier on. Pick a topic you are interested in; otherwise you’ll find your motivation drop like a stone.

Quick Reply

Latest