The Student Room Group

PAT vs ENGAA

Hi

I have been preparing for the PAT exam for the last two months but unable to reach the pass marks for the interwview stage. I do better with multiple choice questions. So should I switch to doing the ENGAA instead? Mainly my question is are the prepartion for ENGAA or PAT very different? Is it too late to switch? Thanks
Reply 1
The PAT is for Oxford Admissions, ENGAA is for Cambridge. If you want to apply for Cambridge, then you need to take the ENGAA exam first in order to study engineering there. You shouldn't switch to the ENGAA just because the test is easier for you, go for which university suits you best.
Original post by violetgrace
Hi

I have been preparing for the PAT exam for the last two months but unable to reach the pass marks for the interwview stage. I do better with multiple choice questions. So should I switch to doing the ENGAA instead? Mainly my question is are the prepartion for ENGAA or PAT very different? Is it too late to switch? Thanks

Where did you find out the pass mark from? Earlier there used to be a strict cut off but now there isn't, although the test is still very important. Keep in mind that the cut off is lower for engineering applicants than physics ones. However, if you are really struggling with the test, it's probably better to apply to Cambridge because Oxford places a huge weight on the admissions test. If you like the Oxford course a lot more, then just apply there. If you like it only slightly more, then it's better to apply to cam.
Reply 3
Original post by .Umar.
The PAT is for Oxford Admissions, ENGAA is for Cambridge. If you want to apply for Cambridge, then you need to take the ENGAA exam first in order to study engineering there. You shouldn't switch to the ENGAA just because the test is easier for you, go for which university suits you best.

Thanks but I do know which exam is for which university really. That was not my question.

Both Universities offer the General Engineering course, so I would be happy to go to either. I have asked the question for advice and all I am asking is are the prepartions for the two exams vastly different or can I switch now? Thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous(
Where did you find out the pass mark from? Earlier there used to be a strict cut off but now there isn't, although the test is still very important. Keep in mind that the cut off is lower for engineering applicants than physics ones. However, if you are really struggling with the test, it's probably better to apply to Cambridge because Oxford places a huge weight on the admissions test. If you like the Oxford course a lot more, then just apply there. If you like it only slightly more, then it's better to apply to cam.

Thank you, this was very helpful. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending