The Student Room Group

UPenn or UChicago

I have a decision to make. I am only going to apply to one university in the US for Early Decision. Should that be UChicago or UPenn?

I have listed my reasons for each one:

UChicago:
Have a better chance to get in due to connections (in quantitative measures, 4x more likely maybe)
International aid is need-blind (so is UPenn but UChicago are more lenient)

UPenn:
My application is geared towards Economics and finance, and I would like an investment career rather than an academic one, so UPenn is a good fit (but a smaller chance to get in to)
Ivy League status

my stats and grades are fine
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have a decision to make. I am only going to apply to one university in the US for Early Decision. Should that be UChicago or UPenn?

UChicago:
Have a better chance to get in due to connections (in quantitative measures, 4x more likely maybe)

UPenn:
My application is geared towards Economics and finance, and I would like an investment career rather than an academic one, so UPenn is a good fit (but a smaller chance to get in to)
Ivy League status

by connections i mean legacy
Which one do you like more?

Since both, if you're not a US citizen, are need-aware, applying ED definitely seems like a good strategy. UChicago also has ED2 so that could be something to think about.

UPenn and UChicago are both absolutely incredible schools that will both offer a world class education; the fact that Penn happens to be in the Ivy League should not be a consideration at all. All that essentially means is that it's an old colonial school in the northeast.

Unfortunately, none of us can make this decision for you - my advice would be to really delve into each school and decide which one is the best fit for you.
Reply 3
Original post by kamara41
Which one do you like more?

Since both, if you're not a US citizen, are need-aware, applying ED definitely seems like a good strategy. UChicago also has ED2 so that could be something to think about.

UPenn and UChicago are both absolutely incredible schools that will both offer a world class education; the fact that Penn happens to be in the Ivy League should not be a consideration at all. All that essentially means is that it's an old colonial school in the northeast.

Unfortunately, none of us can make this decision for you - my advice would be to really delve into each school and decide which one is the best fit for you.

HI there thanks for your response! I will probably ED at UPenn and EA at UChicago at the same time (which is allowed according to rules from UPenn ED).
Reply 4
HI there thanks for your response! I will probably ED at UPenn and EA at UChicago at the same time (which is allowed according to rules from UPenn ED).

Before you decide you should definitely check whether legacy status is considered only for ED (which is the case for a lot of top colleges). It’s normally a big help as you say, and you might waste it by applying EA to Chicago. Every school has a different policy so make sure! GL

UChicago:

UPenn:
Ivy League status

What are your stats / grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending