The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Should I re apply?

Hi,

I am currently a freshman at the University of Chicago, wanting to study history. However, from the first few weeks at this place I do not think that it is the right fit for me. I know that UChicago is a great school, but I am thinking of reapplying.

However, if I were going to reapply, I feel as though I would need to go to a school that is as good as Chicago or else it may be better to just stick it out here.

I achieved A*AA in my A levels, of politics, history, and econ in the 2023 cycle, as well as A* in EPQ (but apparantly nobody cares about that). I know that oxbridge for history or history and politics might be a stretch with the achieved grades, but would it be worth it applying to LSE, UCL, or maybe even Cambridge just for fun?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am currently a freshman at the University of Chicago, wanting to study history. However, from the first few weeks at this place I do not think that it is the right fit for me. I know that UChicago is a great school, but I am thinking of reapplying.

However, if I were going to reapply, I feel as though I would need to go to a school that is as good as Chicago or else it may be better to just stick it out here.

I achieved A*AA in my A levels, of politics, history, and econ in the 2023 cycle, as well as A* in EPQ (but apparantly nobody cares about that). I know that oxbridge for history or history and politics might be a stretch with the achieved grades, but would it be worth it applying to LSE, UCL, or maybe even Cambridge just for fun?

I don't think Oxbridge is necessarily a stretch with those grades. Oxford require AAA, and Cambridge require A*AA for History and Politics. Your application would rely on your entrance test score, written work, and finally interview performance. You don't need A*A*A* to be accepted, as they rely more on their own admissions process. I'd definitely recommend Oxford for History/HisPol - i'm really enjoying the course here. If you're interested, I'd check out some past HAT papers, as this is the most important factor in shortlisting, alongside your written work.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/admissions-tests/hat

For LSE, your application would rely more on your personal statement/academic reference, but you definitely have a good shot there as well. Good luck!
(edited 7 months ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by emilyalexandria
I don't think Oxbridge is necessarily a stretch with those grades. Oxford require AAA, and Cambridge require A*AA for History and Politics. Your application would rely on your entrance test score, written work, and finally interview performance. You don't need A*A*A* to be accepted, as they rely more on their own admissions process. I'd definitely recommend Oxford for History/HisPol - i'm really enjoying the course here. If you're interested, I'd check out some past HAT papers, as this is the most important factor in shortlisting, alongside your written work.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/admissions-tests/hat

For LSE, your application would rely more on your personal statement/academic reference, but you definitely have a good shot there as well. Good luck!

Need to register today so tight one!I guess you are behind us but still!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending