The Student Room Group

Gaming laptop-Which ones should I buy?

Hi there,

Basically I’m wanting to get a gaming laptop because I don’t have the space in my room for a gaming PC and there’s a ton of strategy games I’m missing out on because I don’t have a PC/Laptop.

Anyways, I am caught between buying one of two laptops. I can either get the ASUS ROG strix scar 15 OR The latest version of the HP Omen 15 (2021)

I will go through their specifications now just so it makes it easier for you to decide which one You think I should purchase.

ASUS ROG strix scar 15:

Bluetooth: Y

Depth: 259 MM

Display Size: 15.6in

Dongle Required: N

Carry tournament-level gaming power with you on the go in a small and portable chassis, its easy to bring your A-game anywhere

Accelerate work and play on a machine tailored to deliver triple-digit frame rates and eading-edge graphics

Everything from esports to AAA gaming runs fast and fluid, powered by cutting-edge GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs

Take back time for tasks that matter with superfast SSD storage

Game in stealth with quieter, more effective cooling. Liquid metal compound on the CPU improves heat transfer for easier dissipation

switch between operating modes to optimize performance and acoustics for different games and applications.

The ultrafast optical switches combine with a longer keystroke travel distance of 1.9mm to provide a satisfying tactile feel

Virtual 5.1.2-channel surround sound powered by Dolby Atmos technology puts you in the center of the action

Unplug and do more on the move with a high-capacity 56Wh battery

Game at gigabit speeds where compatible connections are available with Wi-Fi 6 with Gig+ (802.11ax)

Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050 4GB

Storage: 512 Gb

Height: 20.6 MM

Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 7 4800H Processor 2.9 GHz (8M Cache, up to 4.2 GHz)

RAM Memory: 8 GB

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Screen Type: Full HD IPS

Touch Screen: N

Width: 354 MM

Wifi Enabled: Y

HP Omen 15 (2021):

AMD FreeSync
See the difference with fluid, responsive gameplay. By synchronizing the refresh rate with your GPU, AMD FreeSync removes display stutter, input lag, and screen tears.

Blue Tooth: Y

Graphics: GeForce RTX 3060

Hard Drive Storage: 512 Gb

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H

RAM Memory: 16 GB

So after that, which laptop do you think I should get? I’m leaning more toward the HP omen 15. But I’ve heard the ASUS is just as good in many ways, except the ram and graphics card isn’t as good as the omen.
Original post by Musicgirl97
Hi there,

Basically I’m wanting to get a gaming laptop because I don’t have the space in my room for a gaming PC and there’s a ton of strategy games I’m missing out on because I don’t have a PC/Laptop.

Anyways, I am caught between buying one of two laptops. I can either get the ASUS ROG strix scar 15 OR The latest version of the HP Omen 15 (2021)

I will go through their specifications now just so it makes it easier for you to decide which one You think I should purchase.

ASUS ROG strix scar 15:

Carry tournament-level gaming power with you on the go in a small and portable chassis, its easy to bring your A-game anywhere

Accelerate work and play on a machine tailored to deliver triple-digit frame rates and eading-edge graphics

Everything from esports to AAA gaming runs fast and fluid, powered by cutting-edge GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs

Game in stealth with quieter, more effective cooling. Liquid metal compound on the CPU improves heat transfer for easier dissipation

switch between operating modes to optimize performance and acoustics for different games and applications.

The ultrafast optical switches combine with a longer keystroke travel distance of 1.9mm to provide a satisfying tactile feel

Virtual 5.1.2-channel surround sound powered by Dolby Atmos technology puts you in the center of the action

Game at gigabit speeds where compatible connections are available with Wi-Fi 6 with Gig+ (802.11ax)

HP Omen 15 (2021):

AMD FreeSync
See the difference with fluid, responsive gameplay. By synchronizing the refresh rate with your GPU, AMD FreeSync removes display stutter, input lag, and screen tears.

So after that, which laptop do you think I should get? I’m leaning more toward the HP omen 15. But I’ve heard the ASUS is just as good in many ways, except the ram and graphics card isn’t as good as the omen.

I’m a sucker for ROG Strix, but the HP Omen sounds like a clear winner in the RAM, CPU and GPU!
Original post by Musicgirl97
Hi there,

ASUS ROG strix scar 15:

HP Omen 15 (2021):

AMD FreeSync

I took some time and looked at some reviews on youtube and from what I can gather the HP Omen is by far better than the other laptop you mentioned, also my brother has the HP Omen the 2020 model and it's a blast he says!
i think hp omen is better one of my friends has it and he plays valorant on it with 90 fps
i think both of them are good enough

Quick Reply

Latest