The Student Room Group

How to convince your parents to get you a good laptop?

So I'm off to university and of course I need a laptop. My parents are going to pay for one but they said they are only going to spend around £350 on it and if I wanted a better laptop I could pay a "little bit on top". I found one and it's £599 and it's really good: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-l502x-proc-… However, I'm worried my parents will say that is more than a "little bit on top".

However, I watch HD videos on youtube, multi-task a lot, it's got a HD webcam for skype that I'll be needing to talk to my parents, it's ideal for time-to time gaming so it's perfect for what I currently do. Plus, it's been reduced by quite a bit! Surely if it's my money that I'm spending on the laptop, and I have been saving up for this occasion, then they can't say no? How do you think I could convince them if they seem uneasy?
Tell them that the higher the price = better quality. It may not be true in some cases but w/e. Also tell them it's an investment into your future and you'll be the one paying for their retirement home.

/thread
Don't mention the gaming aspect though, they probably won't approve.
Maybe wait and see how they react first, before planning your next move? They may surprise you, and be ok with you paying the difference. TBH I can't see why they wouldn't be, it's your own money, and soon enough you're going to be out on your own making these sorts of decisions all on your lonesome.
Reply 4
You don't need a £600 laptop for watching videos and skyping. Unless you're a serious gamer, something like this should do fine:

http://www.dabs.com/products/lenovo-g570-core-i5-2410m-4gb-500gb--dvd-rw-15-6--windows-7-home-premium-7FR4.html?ntent=PN00
If youre going to be spending an amount of money on a laptop you might as well spend that bit more to get a really good quality one that will last a long time. Just hint heavily on the benefits it will have to your education and the skype thing is a definate bonus!
true

op. Depending on how lenient your parents are, you should probably aim a little lower around the 400-500 mark. You could probably get most of those features for that price. maybe not so much gaming though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
"But muuuum...MS Word 2007 only runs on Alienware laptops!"

On a serious note depending on your course some programmes actually do need a half decent system. If you're just doing English or something then that arguements kinda void though.
Reply 8
Original post by Shuvel
"But muuuum...MS Word 2007 only runs on Alienware laptops!"

On a serious note depending on your course some programmes actually do need a half decent system. If you're just doing English or something then that arguements kinda void though.

I'm doing law :/
Reply 9
They'l probably tell you to buy it yourself since your a adult.
Reply 10
the hell. You can do all those on intel hd 3000.

This one from comet has the latest second gen i5 processor with intel hd 3000 which should handle casual gaming and more than up to the task of mutiple applications for £400. It's been heavily reduced so get it while you can. http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-ASUS-X53E-SX399V-Laptop/734039

I know because my friend just got this laptops and it's fantastic with a sexy brushed metal chassis which is hard to tell from the picture. The 3GB is more than plenty and it's highly unlikely your use will cause you to exceed it. Even then you can buy 4GB ram to isntall on for cheap <£30

EDIT: If you want to be within the £350 budget there are dual core second gen i3 2310m laptops for under £350 with the same intel hd 3000.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jrules0193
I'm doing law :/

Yeah you don't need that £600 laptop. The £400 I linked earlier would be better. At most you'd need this £500 one http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5750G_1091432.html which is actually better than the dell you listed. The link for your dell one doesn't work but i'm assuming it's the 15 inch one with a gt 525m. This one has a gt 540m which is a much more powerful graphics card and still has the same i5 2410m.
(edited 12 years ago)
And I'm sure the response of this would be, pay for it by getting your own job since you're an adult.
what course are you doing

i said i needed a high end laptop with a high graphics card for my course as i will be coding animations which takes alot of graphical power XD

as your doing law point out how big the hard drive is and that you will need it for all the files you will need to store (they will not know this is crap)

if that fails then and only then refer to the graphics card stating you will need it to view the amount of court cases your degree requires you to review (whether this is bogus or not doesnt matter as long as they buy it)
(edited 12 years ago)
It's their money, pretty sure they get to play a big part in whatever decision gets made.

So I'm off to university and of course I need a laptop. My parents are going to pay for one but they said they are only going to spend around £350 on it and if I wanted a better laptop I could pay a &quot;little bit on top&quot;. I found one and it's £599 and it's really good: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-l502x-proc-… However, I'm worried my parents will say that is more than a &quot;little bit on top&quot;.

However, I watch HD videos on youtube, multi-task a lot, it's got a HD webcam for skype that I'll be needing to talk to my parents, it's ideal for time-to time gaming so it's perfect for what I currently do. Plus, it's been reduced by quite a bit! Surely if it's my money that I'm spending on the laptop, and I have been saving up for this occasion, then they can't say no? How do you think I could convince them if they seem uneasy?

If it's your own money then they probably won't mind.... you just need to reassure them that paying the extra doesn't mean you won't be able to eat or something like that!! Parents do worry about such things.

Have you checked Windows student site? There are quite a few laptops that do everything you want without spending quite so much :smile:

http://lndn.me/nrn9MT
(edited 12 years ago)
Say "well, my friends parents bought him that same laptop and they really love him. But I guess if you don't love me I'll have a cheaper one."
Original post by poisoned_rose
Maybe wait and see how they react first, before planning your next move? They may surprise you, and be ok with you paying the difference. TBH I can't see why they wouldn't be, it's your own money, and soon enough you're going to be out on your own making these sorts of decisions all on your lonesome.
Because they are going to want to make sure that you are not wasting your money you will need to show them that it is not a wast

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending