The Student Room Group

Best windows laptop for students?

Hey!

I'm looking for a laptop but feeling rather overwhelmed with the number of choices. I know I want a windows laptop as I just feel very comfortable on windows, and I want one that I know can last at least 4/5 years while still feeling somewhat snappy.

The most intense stuff I'd be doing with it is running Photoshop and light video editing.

Would anyone have any recommendations for a reliable and durable windows laptop? :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
You haven't given a budget which will make recommendations difficult. If you want it to still feel fast years down the line, you'll need a laptop with an SSD, but you will be sacrificing storage space unless you pay extra. This Lenovo IdeaPad 3i 15 could be good, but again we need a budget to give you helpful recommendations.
i used a hp laptop for over 5 years :smile:
the most intense activity i did was play a game that needed to be downloaded. i played the game nearly everyday. the laptop ran quietly for a long time, then occasionally made some clunky noises. the speed of loading webpages was quick in the beginning, then the speed slowed after the years. it has something to do with the laptop because other technology devices at home ran quickly. i don't remember the battery life.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Your laptop would have had a hard drive in it which is why it was slowing down, alongside other potential reasons. The more data is written to a hard disk the further it needs to spin to access that data.
thank you, Doomotron :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Doomotron
You haven't given a budget which will make recommendations difficult. If you want it to still feel fast years down the line, you'll need a laptop with an SSD, but you will be sacrificing storage space unless you pay extra. This Lenovo IdeaPad 3i 15 could be good, but again we need a budget to give you helpful recommendations.

I'd prefer not to go significantly over £1000.
Reply 6
That's a good budget to work with. I'm a bit busy right now to give you specific models to consider, but for £1000 here are my recommendations for stats to look out for:

16GB of RAM or more.

Either a high-performance CPU or a laptop with a dedicated GPU, which will help in Photoshop. Look on CPUBenchmark to see how good a processor in a laptop is.

At least a 512GB SSD on its own (expect to need to buy additional storage later on though) or a 256GB main SSD or better with a 1TB hard drive or better.

1440p display, 1080p for a smaller screen although this won't be good for photo editing.

Optional: a refresh rate higher than 60Hz. 60 is fine but 120 or 144Hz is much smoother.

Recommended: HDR display; very good for photo editing.

For £1000, anything lower than these specs is probably a rip-off. I will try to find individual models later on for you.
Reply 7

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending