The Student Room Group

Police online interview

Got my police assessment next week, has anyone done the online interview before and has any tips? I'm using the STAR technique, but I can't make my answers long enough to last the five minutes we have to give a response to the question. Does it need to last that whole time? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Ferrograd
Got my police assessment next week, has anyone done the online interview before and has any tips? I'm using the STAR technique, but I can't make my answers long enough to last the five minutes we have to give a response to the question. Does it need to last that whole time? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi good luck for your online assessment! I don't think your answers have to last the whole 5 minutes so don't worry. I know when I did it I just made sure to use STAR and fully elaborate on my reasoning/rationale behind my decisions. So long as you get in enough detail and you are clear and concise it should not problem that it's less than 5 mins. All the best!
this is so interesting for me because i’m currently in year 13 but looking to go into police afterwards. if you don’t mind me asking, what part of police are you going into, do you have a degree to get you in, and what made you want to go into it??

just interested because i want to look into doing police!
I’ve just started uni but it’s been my lifelong ambition to be in the police so even if I’m not successful this time I’m gonna try again.

I’ve applied for my local force, Essex Police. You do a degree apprenticeship, which combines being paid doing the job of a police officer along with in classroom learning. You get paid full amount for the 3 years of the apprenticeship and are a fully trained officer from day 1
Original post by HollyWB
Hi good luck for your online assessment! I don't think your answers have to last the whole 5 minutes so don't worry. I know when I did it I just made sure to use STAR and fully elaborate on my reasoning/rationale behind my decisions. So long as you get in enough detail and you are clear and concise it should not problem that it's less than 5 mins. All the best!

That’s good - I’m just struggling with some examples because I’ve only done two part time jobs, neither which were. For very long.

Were you successful, and what did you do if you didn’t use the whole five minutes? Just sit there XD
Reply 5
That’s good - I’m just struggling with some examples because I’ve only done two part time jobs, neither which were. For very long.

Were you successful, and what did you do if you didn’t use the whole five minutes? Just sit there XD

I'm currently on my 4th week waiting to hear if I was successful. Fingers crossed and I think it went pretty well so we'll see!!
No, basically you get to cut off the video when you have finished your answer (so you're not just sitting there - thank goodness!)
It gives you 1 min prep then counts down on the video screen 3,2,1 then the video begins recording, once you have finished saying your answer you just press stop/end recording on the screen and move on to the next question.
Which programme are you applying for?
Mine is for the Detective Constable Degree Holder Entry Programme
Original post by HollyWB
I'm currently on my 4th week waiting to hear if I was successful. Fingers crossed and I think it went pretty well so we'll see!!
No, basically you get to cut off the video when you have finished your answer (so you're not just sitting there - thank goodness!)
It gives you 1 min prep then counts down on the video screen 3,2,1 then the video begins recording, once you have finished saying your answer you just press stop/end recording on the screen and move on to the next question.
Which programme are you applying for?
Mine is for the Detective Constable Degree Holder Entry Programme

I applied for the PCDA and the detective fast track scheme. I've been told the results of this will go towards either of them.
My main concern isn't the assessment, it's the medical, I've had mental health difficulties over the years and currently on medication (though coming off for unrelated reasons). But we'll see I guess

What questions did you get asked, and what about the briefing exercise?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
I applied for the PCDA and the detective fast track scheme. I've been told the results of this will go towards either of them.
My main concern isn't the assessment, it's the medical, I've had mental health difficulties over the years and currently on medication (though coming off for unrelated reasons). But we'll see I guess

What questions did you get asked, and what about the briefing exercise?

Ah amazing! Good Luck with both! Ahh I see well I've been told that candidates are reviewed on a case by case basis, also that your GP's stamp is important as that basically signs you off as fit to serve. Don't quote me on this but I believe so long as you are considered stable on or off medication by your GP and police medical team it shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XIIIYoX0dU

This link is for the Richard McMunn Police Online Assessment Videos - there are a few for each element of the process. I found them so helpful and even went through them writing down my own examples.

Another big thing was using the core competencies for each exercise in your answers - I believe that's explained in the video too.

Hope you find this helpful!
Reply 8
Ferrograd - I can see your pm but unfortunately can't reply yet on TSR as I've not met their criteria to send private messages. Is there another way you'd like to chat? If you pm me your email I could email you?
Original post by HollyWB
Ferrograd - I can see your pm but unfortunately can't reply yet on TSR as I've not met their criteria to send private messages. Is there another way you'd like to chat? If you pm me your email I could email you?

I’ve sent you my email :-)

Why bro? Why become a fed?

jk jk good luck mate xx :tongue:
Reply 11
I’ve sent you my email :-)

I've emailed you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending