The Student Room Group

Interview for a temporary role, should I ask if it could turn permanent?

I am currently unemployed due to being made redundant back in June this year from a company that I worked at for 5 years. I have a job interview next week for a fixed term contract as an applications engineer until March 2025 at my local police station. It does say clearly that it's fixed term contract on the job advert, is it worth going for and should I ask about the possibility of it being permanent at the end?
A very valid question and one that I've asked at interview for every fixed term post that I've applied to.
Original post by Fazersa
I am currently unemployed due to being made redundant back in June this year from a company that I worked at for 5 years. I have a job interview next week for a fixed term contract as an applications engineer until March 2025 at my local police station. It does say clearly that it's fixed term contract on the job advert, is it worth going for and should I ask about the possibility of it being permanent at the end?

Yes it's very valid to enquire about the possibility of the role turning permanent.
Original post by Fazersa

Yes it is a valid question.
Some temp jobs do end up being permanent. I'd deffo ask them. There might be a chance of it being permanent, there might not. But at least it shows you are interested if you ask (plus you will know the answer).
Original post by Fazersa

Hi! Definitely a valid question to ask and won't look bad. Shows that you are thinking long term and that could potentially be with them. Would also recommend for your interview to look online for more good questions to ask in an interview.
not sure I agree with others - does the answer influence what you would do? i.e. Would you turn it down if they said no?

I have worked on temporary contracts for years, end of March is a common time for them to run to because that is often the financial year end for organisations / contracts. The employer may not know if there will be budget for the work to continue until a few weeks before the end of the contract. March 2025 is a long way off, in this day and age that is almost permanent.

FWIW I never ask, if I am doing a good job and the money is there I get extended. If the money isn't there I move on - but the life of a contractor isn't for everyone.

Its worth being aware, some employers (allegedly) use temporary contracts to avoid their legal responsibilities as employers. The nature of your rights as an employee also change significantly at 2 years (I believe)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending