The Student Room Group

How to apply to medical school if you're homeschooled abroad?

I'm in year 11, homeschooling abroad, and will be unable to take my GCSEs next year due to a few circumstances, but I will take my A-levels. Will I be able to get into a med school?
(edited 2 years ago)
I think you need at least a 6 in maths and English language GCSE for most medical schools in the UK. What are your circumstances if you don't mind answering? iGCSE's can be taken in most countries. You might also be subject to international fees which means more competition and higher tuition fees depending on how long you've been away for. Most medical schools require biology, chemistry and another subject. You will also need to find a test centre for the UCAT in the summer before you apply. UCAS deadline is on the 15th October each year.
Reply 2
Original post by hungrysalamander
I think you need at least a 6 in maths and English language GCSE for most medical schools in the UK. What are your circumstances if you don't mind answering? iGCSE's can be taken in most countries. You might also be subject to international fees which means more competition and higher tuition fees depending on how long you've been away for. Most medical schools require biology, chemistry and another subject. You will also need to find a test centre for the UCAT in the summer before you apply. UCAS deadline is on the 15th October each year.

I am a British citizen, but, as I said, I live abroad and so far covid restrictions have been preventing me from leaving the country. I also have no one to stay with during my stay in England. My family is poor and my dad thinks GCSEs are a waste.

I'm willing to wait and get GCSEs once I've moved to England, somehow, if it really is necessary.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bellaamelie
I am a British citizen, but, as I said, I live abroad and so far covid restrictions have been preventing me from leaving the country. I also have no one to stay with during my stay in England. My family is poor and my dad thinks GCSEs are a waste.

I'm to wait willing to get GCSEs once I've moved to England, somehow, if it really is necessary.

If you’ve been resident abroad and not maintained much in the way of links to the U.K., then you may end up getting assessed as an overseas fees payer which would probably be a big stumbling block.
Original post by bellaamelie

I'm to wait willing to get GCSEs once I've moved to England, somehow, if it really is necessary.

Even if you are a citizen, you're considered an international student if you lived outside the UK for 3 years before applying (or starting the course idk which one it is).
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
If you’ve been resident abroad and not maintained much in the way of links to the U.K., then you may end up getting assessed as an overseas fees payer which would probably be a big stumbling block.

If it's that bad I do have a brother who lives in the UK that would find a way to let me stay with him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending