The Student Room Group

Medicine course advice urgent !!!!

I couldn't do undergrad medicine as I didn't get the A level grades. I chose to do Graduate Entery Medicine;however when I applied I just started my 3rd year so my university didn't provide a predicted grade and now I got rejected from all the unis.
What should I do now? Should I take a gap year? Or should I apply for a different Masters degree?

I really want to do medicine and become a doctor. I thought of doing PA course but that doesn't exactly give me what I want. I want to be a general surgeon, Emergency Medicine doctor or a GP.

Please advise me guys I am really stuck and worried!!!
(edited 1 month ago)
Graduate entry medicine is very competitive and as I understand it's not uncommon for people to have to apply 2 or 3 years in a row before getting an offer. Don't worry too much about not getting any offers this time round as a result.

So yes doing a "gap" year and getting more work experience would be the best option if you're keen on pursuing medicine. Also preparing for the UCAT and interview. Pretty typical by most accounts I think for GEM applicants to have to spend a year or two after graduating applying while working as an HCA or something similar in the healthcare sector.
Original post by artful_lounger
Graduate entry medicine is very competitive and as I understand it's not uncommon for people to have to apply 2 or 3 years in a row before getting an offer. Don't worry too much about not getting any offers this time round as a result.
So yes doing a "gap" year and getting more work experience would be the best option if you're keen on pursuing medicine. Also preparing for the UCAT and interview. Pretty typical by most accounts I think for GEM applicants to have to spend a year or two after graduating applying while working as an HCA or something similar in the healthcare sector.

So If I take a gap year revise for my ucat do ucat in August/September 2024 and in my personal statement say I am taking a gap year to work and do work experience do you think I stand a chance? Mum Said if I take a gap year I will not stand a chance as she know many students that took a gap year but still got rejected so I am like really worried now?
Original post by Dreamer0827
So If I take a gap year revise for my ucat do ucat in August/September 2024 and in my personal statement say I am taking a gap year to work and do work experience do you think I stand a chance? Mum Said if I take a gap year I will not stand a chance as she know many students that took a gap year but still got rejected so I am like really worried now?

I mean I'd firstly not really consider it a "gap year" as you're a graduate now and will probably be working full time as an HCA (or part time as something else and doing HCA work part time or voluntary things in relation to medicine). Whether you apply in the final year of your course or after graduating has no bearing on admissions whatsoever.

Of course it's certainly possible you'll be rejected again. You can then apply again the following year - this is I gather not uncommon as I said. Of course at that point I believe people do start self selecting out in deciding it's not worth the time and effort and they'd rather go into another graduate role (particularly if they have other commitments e.g. a young family or similar).

You don't need to and I can't imagine why you would write about a gap year (whether an actual gap year as a school leaver or just a year as a graduate) in your personal statement. It's irrelevant, they don't care, and they can see that you're on a "gap" year based on the dates of your qualifications. They want to see you writing about your interest and commitment to the course and what you've done to prepare for it.

You seem to be hung up on some idea that a "gap" year makes you less competitive or desirable to medical schools, and that you need to somehow explain or justify this to the medical school(s), which is simply completely wrong and not at all how it works, and you need to just remove that from your thinking as it's so completely beyond relevance to the process it's a waste of mental energy (and character limit in your PS).
You could study Medicine abroad, I know loads of students in the UK that haven’t got in and gone abroad. There’s a massive community in Georgia, if you contact https://medenteurope.com - they help students transition over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending