The Student Room Group

Oxford and Imperial Interview

Hello all,

I'm currently applying for a degree at Oxford and Imperial for Earth Sciences/Geophysics. My grades are sufficient enough to earn interviews, however, I am more worried about the interviews itself and what will happen during them. If anyone has information to help prepare for the interview it will be highly appreciated.
How do you know you already have a interview? but i think there is a alot of interview prep online. You're subject area is quite underrated so it may be harder but maybe see online for anyone that does you degree and gives out advice :smile:
grades alone don't guarantee an interview.
Here's an example of a famous earth sciences question that Oxford used to ask in their interview process a few years back.

"Imagine a hole has been drilled through the entire planet, from one end to the other. If a tennis ball were dropped though that hole then what would happen?"

Good luck.
Reply 4
I think Imperial interviews are more laid-back usually. Maybe they'll ask you to expand on some points in your personal statement, give you a problem to try out. Geophysics is among the least competitive courses to get into at Imperial anyway. The interview will probably just be a formality.

Don't know about Oxford though.
Original post by Sinnoh
I think Imperial interviews are more laid-back usually. Maybe they'll ask you to expand on some points in your personal statement, give you a problem to try out. Geophysics is among the least competitive courses to get into at Imperial anyway. The interview will probably just be a formality.

Don't know about Oxford though.

how come they do an interview for a course that isn’t that competitive? I applied for biological sciences as a PQA and I don’t think they interview? At least I haven’t been told anything of the sort and I don’t believe bio is that competitive compared to like physics/maths etc
Reply 6
Original post by leviticus.
how come they do an interview for a course that isn’t that competitive? I applied for biological sciences as a PQA and I don’t think they interview? At least I haven’t been told anything of the sort and I don’t believe bio is that competitive compared to like physics/maths etc

Because the more you visit the campus, the more likely you are to firm them. That's why unis also run offer holder days or applicant visit days, and why Manchester does interviews for physics even though every single person they interview gets an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending