The Student Room Group

Predicted Grade and Potential Offers

Hello hoping to study medicine 2023, I have been predicted in yr 12 exams an A*(chem) A(maths) A(Bio), plus EPQ - what universities is it realistically NOT worth applying to? Assuming UCAT is band 1 or band 2 score? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated ( not doing BMAT)
Original post by hasbhud
Hello hoping to study medicine 2023, I have been predicted in yr 12 exams an A*(chem) A(maths) A(Bio), plus EPQ - what universities is it realistically NOT worth applying to? Assuming UCAT is band 1 or band 2 score? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated ( not doing BMAT)

apart from Cambridge and Oxford and probably the other London unis like imperial I think you can apply anywhere you want, and what o you mean about UCAT being band 1 or band 2 score? your given a band based on your SJT and the rest is a number. research into ucat and practice. most med schools just require you to have minimum AAA predicted and then the deciding factor for interview is UCAT. so just try to get as high as possible, 2900 will put you in a good position
Reply 2
thanks for your help
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
I'd argue that you could apply to oxford and imperial are achievable as oxford just shortlists pre-interview based on gcse and bmat and with imperial selection only requires minimum entry requirements. The only university that I can think of that is incredibly selective about predicted grades is Exeter which assigns points for each grades with most interviewees having 3 A*s. What you'll find is most universities only look at alevels as a minimum entry requirement and UCAT/BMAT are more important, so as previously mentioned make sure you're prepared for them.
Reply 4
Original post by hasbhud

Some good advice from others so I wont replicste it.

When you have your UCAT score post on the "what uni MEGATHREAD" sticky at the top of the med forum (in the format requested in the first few posts) and somebody will be able to assist you then on the most strategic places to apply.

Hsve a look at the previous version of the thread to see the sorts of advice thry can provide. It is a good idea to have done your own rrseasrch too, and make surr you rrad the recruitment policies and selection processed carefully. Several med schools place emphasis on GCSEs. So its all of a piece and others on work experience.

Good luck with UCAT. A high score helps. A low score is not the end of the world but it does significantly limit options.
Reply 5
Original post by hasbhud

Avoid Exeter, Edinburgh, Cambridge and dependent on UCAT, maybe Aberdeen, Dundee and Barts.

Original post by B7861
apart from Cambridge and Oxford and probably the other London unis like imperial I think you can apply anywhere you want, and what o you mean about UCAT being band 1 or band 2 score? your given a band based on your SJT and the rest is a number. research into ucat and practice. most med schools just require you to have minimum AAA predicted and then the deciding factor for interview is UCAT. so just try to get as high as possible, 2900 will put you in a good position

Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Kings and SGUL would be fine with these A levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending