The Student Room Group

Electricity

I was asked a question and the circuit was a 24v a mix between a parallel and a series in the parallel it divided into 3 parts the top one being 2 ohms the middle being 4 ohms and the bottom being 2 ohms then they all connected after to make a series circuit with a 4 ohm resistor can someone explain how do I find the answer?
Reply 1
Original post by zainshahbaz
I was asked a question and the circuit was a 24v a mix between a parallel and a series in the parallel it divided into 3 parts the top one being 2 ohms the middle being 4 ohms and the bottom being 2 ohms then they all connected after to make a series circuit with a 4 ohm resistor can someone explain how do I find the answer?

I was asked to find the current
Can you draw the circuit in question and post an image of it?
Reply 3
This was the circiut similar to this
This was the circiut similar to this

Looks like a simple case of getting the resistance of the parallel combination and adding to series, then using V = IR.
Reply 5
Original post by Callicious
Looks like a simple case of getting the resistance of the parallel combination and adding to series, then using V = IR.

So i would do 1/2+1/2+1/4 +4?
Reply 6
So i would do 1/2+1/2+1/4 +4?

Not quite right for the parallel resistors part.

When you add more resistors in parallel, the overall resistance goes down. Yours increases.

So what is the correct formula for the total resistance when you have 3 resistors in parallel?
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Not quite right for the parallel resistors part.

When you add more resistors in parallel, the overall resistance goes down. Yours increases.

So what is the correct formula for the total resistance when you have 3 resistors in parallel?

so it would be 2+2+4+4?
Reply 8
so it would be 2+2+4+4?

No, you have to get the total resistance of the 3 resistors in parallel. Then include it in series with the other resistor.
You must have notes/book/... for this, or maybe a quick google?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
No, you have to get the total resistance of the 3 resistors in parallel. Then include it in series with the other resistor.
You must have notes/book/... for this, or maybe a quick google?

but the formula is 1/r1 1/r2 1/r3

It isn't. Go and check your notes for resistors in parallel...

As Callicious said, what is the left hand side of that expression (equation).
(edited 2 years ago)
when I check online this is the formula
when I check online this is the formula

For 1/R where R is the total resistance. Therefore
R = ...

What year/level are you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest