The Student Room Group

Heating gone bust

Renting a very old top floor stone tenement in Edinburgh and the boiler's just offed itself right as we head into sub zero for the foreseeable future. Any genius tips or tricks to keep warm/battle condensation/prevent everything from breaking down. We're currently at 13.5C. There's double glazing but that's about it for modern insulation. Should the curtains be opened/closed. Should doors between rooms stay open or shut. Is it just going to be a case of 5 jumpers and a few cups of tea or are there any miracle suggestions anyone has. We have no electric heaters/dehumidifiers unfortunately.
Reply 1
Original post by blaztroid
Renting a very old top floor stone tenement in Edinburgh and the boiler's just offed itself right as we head into sub zero for the foreseeable future. Any genius tips or tricks to keep warm/battle condensation/prevent everything from breaking down. We're currently at 13.5C. There's double glazing but that's about it for modern insulation. Should the curtains be opened/closed. Should doors between rooms stay open or shut. Is it just going to be a case of 5 jumpers and a few cups of tea or are there any miracle suggestions anyone has. We have no electric heaters/dehumidifiers unfortunately.

First things first -- have you reported this to the landlord so they can arrange for it to be fixed?

Also, ask them to provide you with electric heaters, or at least for them to reimburse you for them if you buy them yourself. (They might not agree to this, but asking won't hurt.)

With electric heaters, bear in mind that (a) they're expensive to run, (b) must not be left unattended, and (c) you need to be sure you're not going to overload the electric circuits in the flat.
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
First things first -- have you reported this to the landlord so they can arrange for it to be fixed?

Also, ask them to provide you with electric heaters, or at least for them to reimburse you for them if you buy them yourself. (They might not agree to this, but asking won't hurt.)

With electric heaters, bear in mind that (a) they're expensive to run, (b) must not be left unattended, and (c) you need to be sure you're not going to overload the electric circuits in the flat.

Yes, asked 2 weeks ago for them to send someone to have a look at the boiler :/ , but apparently plumbers are in high demand or something... so if they try chase us up for breaking the boiler well, they've had all this time to try and sort something. Good idea on the heater front, might be worth a try, though they seem painfully inefficient compared to gas heating. I suppose we might not have any other choice

https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/heating_hot_water
Reply 4

That's got some good advice, thanks for sending that.
Reply 5
Yes, asked 2 weeks ago for them to send someone to have a look at the boiler :/ , but apparently plumbers are in high demand or something... so if they try chase us up for breaking the boiler well, they've had all this time to try and sort something. Good idea on the heater front, might be worth a try, though they seem painfully inefficient compared to gas heating. I suppose we might not have any other choice

Was 2 weeks ago when the boiler stopped working? Or did you ask them to send someone because it was playing up?

If it was sort-of working and it has only just broken completely, then you need to tell them that it has now stopped working.

(Re electric heaters being "inefficient" -- note that strictly speaking they're more efficient than a gas boiler. They are, however, much more expensive to run -- but that's because electricity is about 4 times as expensive as gas for the same amount of energy.)
Reply 6
Original post by martin7
Was 2 weeks ago when the boiler stopped working? Or did you ask them to send someone because it was playing up?

If it was sort-of working and it has only just broken completely, then you need to tell them that it has now stopped working.

(Re electric heaters being "inefficient" -- note that strictly speaking they're more efficient than a gas boiler. They are, however, much more expensive to run -- but that's because electricity is about 4 times as expensive as gas for the same amount of energy.)

No we've had issues with the boiler pressure, it kept going to zero so we repressurised but after a few times had to reach out to the landlord because it didn't want to stay pressurised. Asked them to send someone two weeks ago, said they would then silence. And then it finally kicked the bucket. They've been notified through various means and an urgent repair request submitted but nothing yet. Will probably call them tomorrow if they still haven't got back.

And yes as much as I understand the mechanical efficiency, it does hurt the pockets a bit to be using an electric heater to heat the whole flat. Will hopefully hear back from them soon

Ouch. I feel for you. It is freezing London so I don't how you cope up there. I think keepign the curtains might help keep the heat if there is any draught. Perhaps keep one room warm/hot with the electric heaters until you get this sorted. Not a good time for the boiler to break down. I am guessing you don't have hot water either?
Reply 8
Original post by Kutie Karen
Ouch. I feel for you. It is freezing London so I don't how you cope up there. I think keepign the curtains might help keep the heat if there is any draught. Perhaps keep one room warm/hot with the electric heaters until you get this sorted. Not a good time for the boiler to break down. I am guessing you don't have hot water either?

Only got hot water from the kettle and electric shower, so it's something.Yeah I think we'll try get curtains, maybe shelter in one room, hope someone comes to fix this soon.
Reply 9
If you've got an electric oven you could turn that on and open the door. Proper electric heaters would be better though.

Hot water bottles, thermal underwear and wearing wooly hats.
but apparently plumbers are in high demand or something

this might be true, but they clearly haven't tried very hard to find one - two weeks is plenty of time for someone to have come out and had a look at the boiler (speaking as someone who had to deal with a broken boiler just last week - of the three people I contacted, one was able to come out that day and another in three working days).

In terms of keeping warm, hot water bottles are great. I would also suggest investing in a space heater (got the temperature in my room up by 2 degrees in the space of about 20 minutes). For keeping heat in specifically, keeping curtains and doors closed will help but it was cause very bad condensation.

Keep hassling your landlord - this is unacceptable and them telling you that plumbers are in high demand is a ******** excuse.
Only got hot water from the kettle and electric shower, so it's something.Yeah I think we'll try get curtains, maybe shelter in one room, hope someone comes to fix this soon.

Are you ok now especially with this cold snap?
Reply 12
Original post by Kutie Karen
Are you ok now especially with this cold snap?

Yeah, managed to get a plumber in and a temporary solution, boiler's working for the moment but have no faith that it won't fail at any moment. Got some heaters though in the end so if something does happen we'll be able to fall back on them
Yeah, managed to get a plumber in and a temporary solution, boiler's working for the moment but have no faith that it won't fail at any moment. Got some heaters though in the end so if something does happen we'll be able to fall back on them

Good. Least that is something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending