The Student Room Group

Is it allowed to have your own coffee machine in your own room?

I'm starting my graduate degree from this October, and as a heavy coffee drinker, I would like to know if having a personal coffee machine in your own room is allowed at Oxford accommodation. My college is St. Hugh's.
Reply 1
Don't know the specific location but you might have to have the iem PAT tested.
Original post by Yuna_
I'm starting my graduate degree from this October, and as a heavy coffee drinker, I would like to know if having a personal coffee machine in your own room is allowed at Oxford accommodation. My college is St. Hugh's.

Hello @Yuna_

I hope you're well. Honestly, your best bet is probably to contact your student accommodation prior to moving in and finding out. Some accommodations have quite strict rules & policies about what electrical appliances you're allowed to have due to fire safety! I am sure they would give you an answer if you email or ring them :smile:

Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by Yuna_

Check with the accommodation -- and bear in mind that there might be different rules in different accommodation blocks.

There will probably be rules on what sort of electrical devices are allowed. In some cases the electrical infrastructure, particularly in older buildings, might not be up to allowing students to use high-power heating devices like kettles, and a coffee machine might come into that class.

There might also be fire-safety rules preventing their use, again in older buildings which weren't built to more modern standards.

You might need, as @cheadle points out, to get the item PAT-tested (PAT="Portable Appliance Test") for electrical safety. For a lot of things where there are no exposed metal parts, this might mean no more than a visual inspection to make sure the item isn't damaged.
Original post by Yuna_

Hi there,
I'd recommend getting in touch with the accommodation team at your university and/or reading through your tenancy agreement as accommodations can be quite strict with electrical appliances. As other posters have mentioned, it may be that the appliance will need PAT testing.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending