The Student Room Group

GSCE Options

I plan to go into Computer Science in the future, so I am studying that for GSCEs. However, I have the opportunity to also study Separate Science (which will give me 3 GSCEs rather than the compulsory 2, and extra knowledge for an advantage at A-Levels) or Music (which I have had a passion for since I was young and believe I could do well in).

So could somebody please list to me the pros and cons of doing Music and Science, so I can hopefully come to a solid conclusion of which I should do?

Also, if I plan to take Science A-Levels, should I take Separate Science?
It's a good idea to take separate or "triple" sciences as I know them, if you are considering taking a science for A Level. Some sixth forms will allow to study 1, maybe 2 sciences at A Level without having done separate sciences at GCSE.
It depends what subject you're serious about. If you're looking to Music A Level, GCSE music is pretty much a must. A Level sciences might be more flexible, but again, a solid foundation at GCSE would be helpful.

I'd say on balance, to go for sciences, unless you're only looking to take about 1 science for A Level OR are interested in continuing Music to A Level.
Reply 2
Original post by ArcticChimera
It's a good idea to take separate or "triple" sciences as I know them, if you are considering taking a science for A Level. Some sixth forms will allow to study 1, maybe 2 sciences at A Level without having done separate sciences at GCSE.
It depends what subject you're serious about. If you're looking to Music A Level, GCSE music is pretty much a must. A Level sciences might be more flexible, but again, a solid foundation at GCSE would be helpful.

I'd say on balance, to go for sciences, unless you're only looking to take about 1 science for A Level OR are interested in continuing Music to A Level.

Thanks, I've decided on taking Separate/Triple Science and instead of a Music GSCE, I'm going to try to get more Guitar Grades outside of school. I've put Music as my reserve though, in the case that one of my two options are full - however, this is unlikely.
Original post by askleo
Thanks, I've decided on taking Separate/Triple Science and instead of a Music GSCE, I'm going to try to get more Guitar Grades outside of school. I've put Music as my reserve though, in the case that one of my two options are full - however, this is unlikely.

I think you've made a good choice! Good luck:smile:
Reply 4
hi! It seems like you know what you want to do in the future which is great! I think picking gcse music to throw into ur options, would make it a good mixture of the essential subjects for you plus one you’re passionate about! Personally ( I’m in Y11 currently) I really dislike music and regret picking it :frown: So id say only pick music if:A. You’re very talented on an instrument/ or voice B. You have that “musical ear” that my teachers always reference to where you can identify if it’s a B major key, for example, by only listening to 20seconds of a piece.C. You just have a genuine passion for the theory side of music Anyway ignore my negative outlook on the subject, if you love it and are 100% you’d pass them I’d say go for it! It’s a great subject for some.

Quick Reply

Latest