The Student Room Group

A - level choice?

Heyyy , I've finished my GSCES and struggling with choosing my a-levels. I have an interest in computer science however want to keep my options open in case i decide to change my career path. Can someone explain what you learn in economics as it seems quite interesting and potentially a good choice
Economics is a social science subject. It is essay based but you have to draw graphs, use analytical skills and do simple maths (like in physics, chemistry and biology). You will learn about taxes, how governments run countries, what policies governments take to improve the welfare of the nation, how governments fund their projects, demand, supply, the impact of government's decisions on producers and consumers/customers etc.

I can explain more but I would have to use terms from economics that you don't know. Let me know if you have any questions!
Reply 2
Original post by NazifaNawer
Economics is a social science subject. It is essay based but you have to draw graphs, use analytical skills and do simple maths (like in physics, chemistry and biology). You will learn about taxes, how governments run countries, what policies governments take to improve the welfare of the nation, how governments fund their projects, demand, supply, the impact of government's decisions on producers and consumers/customers etc.

I can explain more but I would have to use terms from economics that you don't know. Let me know if you have any questions!

Do you learn anything in this subject that correlates to tech/computer science? Is it a content-heavy subject or manageable? Im also trynna pick an easier a-level to go with math and computer science .
Original post by unknown4334
Do you learn anything in this subject that correlates to tech/computer science? Is it a content-heavy subject or manageable? Im also trynna pick an easier a-level to go with math and computer science .

Maths, cs and further maths?
Reply 4
Nah , i struggled with GSCE maths , can't take further 💀

Original post by Johnny Valentine
Maths, cs and further maths?
Original post by unknown4334

No, economics doesn't have anything related to tech or computer science. And it is slightly content-heavy. But it's not as content-heavy as other A level subjects like business studies, physics, chemistry or biology. Economics is not really an easy subject. You have to practice writing essays a lot. So I wouldn't recommend it to you for A levels as you already have 2 hard subjects but it is an interesting subject. Also, you can take economics if you think that an essay-based subject will offer variety as your other 2 subjects are not essay-based I'm assuming.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest