The Student Room Group

what happens if a student....

doesn't do well in sixth form
- i've been told by two staff members that i might not get into sixth form
- and i also got told by siblings that i'm making it hard for myself with the options i chose
- i dont like the idea that its harder than gsces
- and i'm feeling under pressure with having to do well in the exams
Reply 1
a bit more info please, what options are you choosing and who were the staff that told you it wasnt for you (were they head of year, teacher tutor)? as i cant say much without knowing?
Reply 2
Original post by roh73
a bit more info please, what options are you choosing and who were the staff that told you it wasnt for you (were they head of year, teacher tutor)? as i cant say much without knowing?

the options i chose:
Option One: Health & Social Care (Level 3 Applied)
Option Two: English Literature
Option Three: Economics
Reserve Option: Sociology
i got told by my sixth form interviewer and the raising achievement staff member in my year team
Original post by hurtinguser
the options i chose:
Option One: Health & Social Care (Level 3 Applied)
Option Two: English Literature
Option Three: Economics
Reserve Option: Sociology
i got told by my sixth form interviewer and the raising achievement staff member in my year team

Don't know anything about option 1.
English Lit will require you to be very good at memorising as many exam boards (from what I have seen) seem to want you to memorise poems and compare them. Don't know how good you are at this but its something to think about.
Economics is also very maths intensive so if your really struggling with maths I would advice against it. If you enjoy business studies (if you ever studied that) then its probably a good choice.
Reply 4
Original post by VisiblyConfused
Don't know anything about option 1.
English Lit will require you to be very good at memorising as many exam boards (from what I have seen) seem to want you to memorise poems and compare them. Don't know how good you are at this but its something to think about.
Economics is also very maths intensive so if your really struggling with maths I would advice against it. If you enjoy business studies (if you ever studied that) then its probably a good choice.

i've already chose these options and im struggling with maths and i haven't studied business
but i got told that i will able to change my options is this possible?
Original post by hurtinguser
doesn't do well in sixth form
- i've been told by two staff members that i might not get into sixth form
- and i also got told by siblings that i'm making it hard for myself with the options i chose
- i dont like the idea that its harder than gsces
- and i'm feeling under pressure with having to do well in the exams

correct me if im wrong but i think this is the 3rd time ive seen you post about worrying about 6th form.

you need to have full focus on your gcses right now (if thats what youre doing) and worry about this after. you wont even need to worry if you get the right gcse grades

- do all you can to get into sixth form. stop worrying about what if and use this time to revise to increase your chances even more
- you are better off doing 'difficult' subjects that you enjoy as you will do better in those. i do maths physics and chemistry which people say are 'difficult', but to me 'difficult' subjects are history, sociology and english as i would not enjoy them and would not be able to do my best
- everything in education will get harder as you go on. you just need to face it. if you put time and effort into sixth form you will succeed
- like i said - stop worrying about what might happen and do your best to prevent it happening. its ok to feel pressure as do i but all you can do is focus on working
I would apply for college and do a vocational course if academics aren't your bag. Theres no issue with doing that and a lot of vocational jobs are actually better paid than office jobs or graduate jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending