The Student Room Group

Math question - ratio

I think I have an answer, I was just wondering if anyone could offer some reassurance? TIA!

2 athletes enter a 2,000m race around a 400 metre track. One is faster than their rival. In the ratio of 3:2, how far into the race, will the slower be lapped by the quicker runner?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Maths forum - I hope you can get an answer here. Sorry I'm no help!

MP :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Mythical Pingu
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Maths forum - I hope you can get an answer here. Sorry I'm no help!

MP :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by hl98davies
Thank you!

What did you get as an answer / working?
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
What did you get as an answer / working?

3 laps? But I'm not sure on method or if my approach is correct for this type of question.
(edited 2 years ago)
the fast runner completes 3 laps at the same moment the slower one completes 2 laps.
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
the fast runner completes 3 laps at the same moment the slower one completes 2 laps.

I think the way the question is worded through me off, would you agree that the length of the race is irrelevant?
I think the way the question is worded through me off, would you agree that the length of the race is irrelevant?

well if they want the answer as a number of laps then it is irrelevant, if they want the distance covered then you need to know how long each lap is.
Reply 8
well if they want the answer as a number of laps then it is irrelevant, if they want the distance covered then you need to know how long each lap is

By the way the question is worded, I would answer it with the number of laps so I assume I would just answer it with something like: The faster runner (A) passed his rival on A's third lap of the track?
By the way the question is worded, I would answer it with the number of laps so I assume I would just answer it with something like: The faster runner (A) passed his rival on A's third lap of the track?

"at the exact point where B has completed 2 laps" would be more precise.
Reply 10
"at the exact point where B has completed 2 laps" would be more precise.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest