Math question - ratio

Watch this thread
hl98davies
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I think I have an answer, I was just wondering if anyone could offer some reassurance? TIA!

2 athletes enter a 2,000m race around a 400 metre track. One is faster than their rival. In the ratio of 3:2, how far into the race, will the slower be lapped by the quicker runner?
Last edited by hl98davies; 3 months ago
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Maths forum - I hope you can get an answer here. Sorry I'm no help!

MP
hl98davies
Rep:
(Original post by Mythical Pingu)
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Maths forum - I hope you can get an answer here. Sorry I'm no help!

MP
Thank you!
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hl98davies)
Thank you!
What did you get as an answer / working?
hl98davies
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
What did you get as an answer / working?
3 laps? But I'm not sure on method or if my approach is correct for this type of question.
Last edited by hl98davies; 3 months ago
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
the fast runner completes 3 laps at the same moment the slower one completes 2 laps.
hl98davies
Rep:
(Original post by the bear)
the fast runner completes 3 laps at the same moment the slower one completes 2 laps.
I think the way the question is worded through me off, would you agree that the length of the race is irrelevant?
the bear
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I think the way the question is worded through me off, would you agree that the length of the race is irrelevant?
well if they want the answer as a number of laps then it is irrelevant, if they want the distance covered then you need to know how long each lap is.
hl98davies
Rep:
well if they want the answer as a number of laps then it is irrelevant, if they want the distance covered then you need to know how long each lap is
By the way the question is worded, I would answer it with the number of laps so I assume I would just answer it with something like: The faster runner (A) passed his rival on A's third lap of the track?
the bear
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
By the way the question is worded, I would answer it with the number of laps so I assume I would just answer it with something like: The faster runner (A) passed his rival on A's third lap of the track?
"at the exact point where B has completed 2 laps" would be more precise.
hl98davies
Rep:
"at the exact point where B has completed 2 laps" would be more precise.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads