The Student Room Group

What IGCSE subject should I choose to study Astronomy or Astrophysics in the future?

Hello,
I am going to take Cambridge IGCSEs. And I like (want) to do Astrophysics in university in the future so, I want to know what IGCSE subjects I would have to choose that will be helpful or useful in my career becoming a astronomer? I’ve already have Decided to take the following IGCSEs

Physics (extended)
Chemistry (extended)
Biology (core)
Mathematics (extended)
English as a First Language
Information Communication Technology

For the subjects above I’ve already bought my course-books and currently studying. And I want to add more subjects that will be suitable if I’m studying Astronomy in a UK university. My father asked me how about taking computer science because it will useful in my phD in the future but I have a doubt about taking it because I want to know is it worth taking computer science even since I’m already taking ICT (information communication technology). And I want to know what subjects I have to or can add to my study list above and I too want to know if I have to remove any of those I’m already stated. I’m self studying Cambridge IGCSE Year 10 for myself without attending school and I’ll be joining a school in the UK for my Year 11. I’m confirm about joining a school to study my Year(Grade) 11 and study my final year of two year studies in a real school after studying my Year 10 Syllabus for myself at home. This means I also have to consider what the Cambridge schools say about number of subjects. I saw in many places where it is stated that I have to choose two subjects from the Group I and have to choose one subject each in Group II to Group V. So what should I do? I’m a international student who don’t have much of knowledge about what subject should I choose and I’ll be moving to UK this September, that’s why I said I’ll be joining a school for year 11.

It could be more helpful for me if I get to solve all of these doubts because I’m pretty confused right now.

Thank you
Monishagar.
Reply 1
What sort of school school are you hoping to attend in the UK? IGCSEs aren't approved for teaching in UK state schools and aren't that commonly studied in UK fee paying schools either so starting studying these, rather than courses that are taught in UK schools, may not be the best choice.
And here’s some more questions-

Should I take English Literature? I kinda like it. I’m into taking… how about 8 to 9 IGCSEs.

I saw a lot of students are taking Their IGCSEs in combination of different boards like taking one from AQA and taking one from CIE and one from Edexcel. But I am taking all of it in CIE! Is it a good thing? Or should I do like others taking in combination?
Original post by Monishagar M
And here’s some more questions-

Should I take English Literature? I kinda like it. I’m into taking… how about 8 to 9 IGCSEs.

I saw a lot of students are taking Their IGCSEs in combination of different boards like taking one from AQA and taking one from CIE and one from Edexcel. But I am taking all of it in CIE! Is it a good thing? Or should I do like others taking in combination?

Moving into a Year 11 is a bit tricky because your subjects may not fit into the timetable at all.

Your choice of school will be severely limited
Original post by EOData
What sort of school school are you hoping to attend in the UK? IGCSEs aren't approved for teaching in UK state schools and aren't that commonly studied in UK fee paying schools either so starting studying these, rather than courses that are taught in UK schools, may not be the best choice.

I am thinking about independent schools which are fee paid. But since you are telling this I have to think about this concern too but I’m not totally 💯 percentage sure about moving to uk this September it may sometimes become next year so I thought even if I don’t come to uk I would be able to join a online school to study the year 11 till I move there or I can even do the exam in my country when it comes to IGCSEs through the local British council. And the most important think here is I already bought books worth £200 for the above mentioned subjects from Hodder. What do you think?
Original post by Muttley79
Moving into a Year 11 is a bit tricky because your subjects may not fit into the timetable at all.

Your choice of school will be severely limited

So if I take all the subjects in one board will it be ok to go with?
Hello,
I am going to take Cambridge IGCSEs. And I like (want) to do Astrophysics in university in the future so, I want to know what IGCSE subjects I would have to choose that will be helpful or useful in my career becoming a astronomer? I’ve already have Decided to take the following IGCSEs

Physics (extended)
Chemistry (extended)
Biology (core)
Mathematics (extended)
English as a First Language
Information Communication Technology

For the subjects above I’ve already bought my course-books and currently studying. And I want to add more subjects that will be suitable if I’m studying Astronomy in a UK university. My father asked me how about taking computer science because it will useful in my phD in the future but I have a doubt about taking it because I want to know is it worth taking computer science even since I’m already taking ICT (information communication technology). And I want to know what subjects I have to or can add to my study list above and I too want to know if I have to remove any of those I’m already stated. I’m self studying Cambridge IGCSE Year 10 for myself without attending school and I’ll be joining a school in the UK for my Year 11. I’m confirm about joining a school to study my Year(Grade) 11 and study my final year of two year studies in a real school after studying my Year 10 Syllabus for myself at home. This means I also have to consider what the Cambridge schools say about number of subjects. I saw in many places where it is stated that I have to choose two subjects from the Group I and have to choose one subject each in Group II to Group V. So what should I do? I’m a international student who don’t have much of knowledge about what subject should I choose and I’ll be moving to UK this September, that’s why I said I’ll be joining a school for year 11.

It could be more helpful for me if I get to solve all of these doubts because I’m pretty confused right now.

Thank you
Monishagar.

hi there! the government website for astronomy states the following GCSEs for a career in astronomy:

At least '5 GCSEs... including English, maths and science'. Your options seem good for this - you should also consider English Literature as this is often compulsory in UK schools.
Original post by milkgloss
hi there! the government website for astronomy states the following GCSEs for a career in astronomy:

At least '5 GCSEs... including English, maths and science'. Your options seem good for this - you should also consider English Literature as this is often compulsory in UK schools.

Ok thank you. I’m taking English Literature.
So if I take all the subjects in one board will it be ok to go with?

No that won't help - schools timetable in blocks so you might find no school can offer you that subject combination and you are stuck. Either move for Year 10 or stay where you are for your iGCES.

Talk to any potential school to see what boards they do ... only fee-paying schools do iGCSEs and not all of them do.
Ok thank you. I’m taking English Literature.

No problem! In terms of exam boards, you should be fine with doing the same for all of them. It doesn't really matter as they're all at the same standard.

I've just read the above - if you haven't found a school yet I wouldn't be able to advise you.
(edited 2 years ago)
No that won't help - schools timetable in blocks so you might find no school can offer you that subject combination and you are stuck. Either move for Year 10 or stay where you are for your iGCES.

Talk to any potential school to see what boards they do ... only fee-paying schools do iGCSEs and not all of them do.

So What do you think I should be doing now?
So What do you think I should be doing now?

Talk to your parents about when to move - are they going to pay for a private school? Whereabouts are you looking to live?

You need to let them know that joining a Year 11 is not sensible - I'm a teacher and we strongly recommend people don't move during GCSE courses.
Your GCSE subjects won't have much bearing on your later studies, provided you do the core subjects (science, maths, English language), then just pick whatever for GCSE. It matters more for A-level where you want to aim to do physics, maths, and further maths if possible. So just do whatever you think seems interesting or that you enjoy for GCSE (and ideally that you think you'll get a good grade in). It might be your last chance do some subjects so think about what you might miss doing in future that you currently study!
Talk to your parents about when to move - are they going to pay for a private school? Whereabouts are you looking to live?

You need to let them know that joining a Year 11 is not sensible - I'm a teacher and we strongly recommend people don't move during GCSE courses.

Ok, can I know what subject should I remove from the list so the timetable won’t be a problem?
Ok, can I know what subject should I remove from the list so the timetable won’t be a problem?

Each school sets its own timetable for each year group. There is no combination that I can guarantee will work. In England everyone does Maths and English and science - then each school offers different combinations and different ways of choosing.
Reply 15

It does not matter at all whether you use one exam board or a mix of exam boards
I think you're going to have a really hard time going into a school for Year 11. If I were you I'd just stay home educated until you finish your I/GCSEs.

As for subjects, you should consider GCSE Astronomy. There's no reason why you should stick to purely IGCSEs. You can absolutely mix boards.
My daughter is doing / has done:
2 Cambridge IGCSEs
4 Edexcel IGCSEs
2 OCR GCSEs
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I think you're going to have a really hard time going into a school for Year 11. If I were you I'd just stay home educated until you finish your I/GCSEs.

As for subjects, you should consider GCSE Astronomy. There's no reason why you should stick to purely IGCSEs. You can absolutely mix boards.
My daughter is doing / has done:
2 Cambridge IGCSEs
4 Edexcel IGCSEs
2 OCR GCSEs

Ok, Thank you :smile:
Original post by EOData
It does not matter at all whether you use one exam board or a mix of exam boards

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest