The Student Room Group

A Level Maths curriculum

I would like to find out if there is any school/college/teacher/student who follows a Maths A Level course where ALL of Pure Maths is covered BEFORE any Applied.
I have been told there is no such school/college that delivers the content in this way, but to me it would make most sense. (Staffing situation making it feasible)
Reply 1
nah that's probably the least efficient method of doing things. The sheer amount of content you learn has to be learnt side by side (one teacher for applied the other for pure) otherwise you'll run out of time. I'd like to know tho, how do you think your method would work out?
Reply 2
Original post by H.dy
nah that's probably the least efficient method of doing things. The sheer amount of content you learn has to be learnt side by side (one teacher for applied the other for pure) otherwise you'll run out of time. I'd like to know tho, how do you think your method would work out?

Ok, so we've run this plan for a second year.
Last year it worked well. We achieved mean grade almost 1 grade higher than 2019. Arguably with a weaker start grade (some of that to do with COVID interruptions in Y11)/ I'm expecting an even better result this year. We're blessed with three a level teachers who are all capable of teaching all modules of maths up to (& in some cases beyond) Further FP2, M2, S2 & D2. We also have no split classes. ie one teacher, one class, per year group. Classes are split/rearranged at end of Y12 - ie different student mix in each class for Y13.
Also, we didn't run out of time, finishing the content at least a week before Easter break. Revision, past papers & a few 'mock' exams between then & exams. No lessons between exam papers once the Exams start.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Jurg the Klopp
Ok, so we've run this plan for a second year.
Last year it worked well. We achieved mean grade almost 1 grade higher than 2019. Arguably with a weaker start grade (some of that to do with COVID interruptions in Y11)/ I'm expecting an even better result this year. We're blessed with three a level teachers who are all capable of teaching all modules of maths up to (& in some cases beyond) Further FP2, M2, S2 & D2. We also have no split classes. ie one teacher, one class, per year group. Classes are split/rearranged at end of Y12 - ie different student mix in each class for Y13.
Also, we didn't run out of time, finishing the content at least a week before Easter break. Revision, past papers & a few 'mock' exams between then & exams. No lessons between exam papers once the Exams start.

I think this is an interesting way to go about things, given I think you get a better handle on the fundamentals doing the pure sections, which you can then put into practice in the applied. Though given the standard of some A-level teachers I've seen, a lot of places this would simply not work as they wouldn't have the staff for it.

Quick Reply

Latest