The Student Room Group

What is necessary for me to study to sit for STEP exam?

So I am a student who is taking a combination of the American AP and Dual Enrollment curriculum as well as the IB curriculum. In my case, I am taking courses in IB Math AA HL, AP Calculus BC, the AP Physics C: Mechanics and E+M, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus, and maybe discrete maths (haven't decided yet).

The STEP specification is extremely vague and I'm not quite certain what exactly I need to know and what I don't need to know, I do have access to the Edexcel further maths textbooks (granted from 2018 but close enough).

I know that by the time I've completed all of my courses the amount of content left for me to self study will be very little, it's just so little I'm effectively trying to find a needle in a haystack. Also I'm not too familiar with the STEP as nobody at my school has taken it. Ideally I'm trying to find the last bits of information and study them over the summer break so I don't have to self-study another course next year.

Thanks in advanced!
STEP only assumes A-level Maths and core (i.e. not optional) A-level Further Maths material. You'll have covered most if not all of this between your math classes.

That said the questions are designed in such a way as to be more problem solving-y and less calculation based I gather.

Your best bet for preparing for STEP is probably just to work through the many past papers - you'll get a feel for what things are or aren't asked on them thay way too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending