The Student Room Group

subjects

the school i got to had limited to none options in choosing subjects, rn in year 11 we have Pearson edexcel math, Cambridge coordinated and combined science, English as an additional language and Arabic as a second language. As as extra course we are doing BTEC IT. Now my question is will these subjects be enough for uni? especially in medical fields for example I would need separate sciences which i decided ill be takiing during A levels which will be biology. And we mocks in december and we haven't finished math and science curriculums
Reply 1
Your chosen subjects for Year 11 may not align with the typical requirements for admission to medical programs at universities, especially in countries like the UK. Medical schools usually require separate sciences, a strong foundation in mathematics and English, and more advanced science courses, particularly in biology and chemistry.

It is important to research the specific admission requirements for the medical schools you are interested in and plan your subject choices accordingly. If your school doesn't offer the necessary courses, consider transferring or taking additional courses outside of school.

Prioritize your studies for upcoming exams, and seek help if needed like corbett maths , cognito etc. Plan your A-levels and additional qualifications to meet the specific entry requirements of the medical schools you're interested in. Admissions requirements can vary between institutions, so research the schools you are considering and tailor your education accordingly. If you have any doubts or questions, reach out to academic advisors or admissions offices for guidance.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Alm_xo
Your chosen subjects for Year 11 may not align with the typical requirements for admission to medical programs at universities, especially in countries like the UK. Medical schools usually require separate sciences, a strong foundation in mathematics and English, and more advanced science courses, particularly in biology and chemistry.

This is factually wrong. GCSE Combined Science is all that is required (if at all specified), and "triple science" i.e. the individual sciences are never called for (but are accepted if offered) at GCSE level, for any UK medical school I am aware of. Usually only minimum grades in English language and sometimes maths are specifically required. Beyond that where medical schools score GCSEs they normally just score grades and proportion of A*/A grades and usually (although not always, such as Birmingham) weight subjects the same.

Original post by aliee
the school i got to had limited to none options in choosing subjects, rn in year 11 we have Pearson edexcel math, Cambridge coordinated and combined science, English as an additional language and Arabic as a second language. As as extra course we are doing BTEC IT. Now my question is will these subjects be enough for uni? especially in medical fields for example I would need separate sciences which i decided ill be takiing during A levels which will be biology. And we mocks in december and we haven't finished math and science curriculums

For GCSE it doesn't matter, you will cover all the required subjects by default as they are national curriculum requirements.

For A-level you should aim to take A-level Chemistry and A-level Biology plus any third A-level.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
This is factually wrong. GCSE Combined Science is all that is required (if at all specified), and "triple science" i.e. the individual sciences are never called for (but are accepted if offered) at GCSE level, for any UK medical school I am aware of. Usually only minimum grades in English language and sometimes maths are specifically required. Beyond that where medical schools score GCSEs they normally just score grades and proportion of A*/A grades and usually (although not always, such as Birmingham) weight subjects the same.

For GCSE it doesn't matter, you will cover all the required subjects by default as they are national curriculum requirements.

For A-level you should aim to take A-level Chemistry and A-level Biology plus any third A-level.

Thanks for correcting me , i always thought we would have to do triple science !
Original post by Alm_xo
Thanks for correcting me , i always thought we would have to do triple science !

Nope, the only content medical schools will assume is from double science (barring whatever is assumed from A-level) :smile:

Of course I suppose some 6th forms might stipulate that to do the science A-level you need to have done triple science but that's really an individual school based decision on how they teach it, the actual A-level syllabus itself also doesn't assume anything beyond double science either.

That said, as students who want to go into medicine tend to be good at the sciences, a lot of medical students will have done triple science if they had the option, as due to enjoying it and doing well in it they chose to do more! But there is no barrier there for people who didn't choose to do that or didn't have the option!
Original post by Alm_xo

It is important to research the specific admission requirements for the medical schools you are interested in and plan your subject choices accordingly. If your school doesn't offer the necessary courses, consider transferring or taking additional courses outside of school.

Prioritize your studies for upcoming exams, and seek help if needed like corbett maths , cognito etc. Plan your A-levels and additional qualifications to meet the specific entry requirements of the medical schools you're interested in. Admissions requirements can vary between institutions, so research the schools you are considering and tailor your education accordingly. If you have any doubts or questions, reach out to academic advisors or admissions offices for guidance.

Not true.
My secondary school didn't offer separate sciences at GCSE (we were only offered double science, worth 2 GCSE's). And someone out of my year went on to do medicine.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Nope, the only content medical schools will assume is from double science (barring whatever is assumed from A-level) :smile:

Of course I suppose some 6th forms might stipulate that to do the science A-level you need to have done triple science but that's really an individual school based decision on how they teach it, the actual A-level syllabus itself also doesn't assume anything beyond double science either.

That said, as students who want to go into medicine tend to be good at the sciences, a lot of medical students will have done triple science if they had the option, as due to enjoying it and doing well in it they chose to do more! But there is no barrier there for people who didn't choose to do that or didn't have the option!

Thanks for the right info , my teachers used to tell me so to take triple science !
Reply 7
Thank you so much for this, our school does not have the right information regarding the subjects and I was quite confused this really helped clear my doubts. I appreciate it, thank you again

Quick Reply

Latest