The Student Room Group

IB subject categories and opinions

Hi,

Please could someone just really briefly outline which subjects/categories you have to choose from for IB? It would also be great to hear about what you’re opinions are on IB SL philosophy, music and English too please as I’m not too sure. I want to take maths, chemistry, computer science, English, music , philosophy, Italian . I’m not rlly good at English but think it’s a requirement and am happy to work on it before I reach sixth form and am fine with philosophy. With music I was told that it doesn’t matter if I didn’t do music GCSE as I can still do IB and that would be ok?? Apparently, you have to do a language too (probably Italian for me) but then I think I’ve passed the 6 subject limit…if I was doing a level I’d want to do computer science, maths, further maths, chemistry and music tech but at my school I can only do 3 a levels + further maths.
Please advise.
Original post by PlsAnsMyQuestion
Hi,

Please could someone just really briefly outline which subjects/categories you have to choose from for IB? It would also be great to hear about what you’re opinions are on IB SL philosophy, music and English too please as I’m not too sure. I want to take maths, chemistry, computer science, English, music , philosophy, Italian . I’m not rlly good at English but think it’s a requirement and am happy to work on it before I reach sixth form and am fine with philosophy. With music I was told that it doesn’t matter if I didn’t do music GCSE as I can still do IB and that would be ok?? Apparently, you have to do a language too (probably Italian for me) but then I think I’ve passed the 6 subject limit…if I was doing a level I’d want to do computer science, maths, further maths, chemistry and music tech but at my school I can only do 3 a levels + further maths.
Please advise.

You have to study a subject from all five non-arts groups, the requirements can be found here. https://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/
Three of these subjects will be higher-level, so you'll do more work in them. Universities typically only look at higher-level subjects, and your overall point score. This means that you should generally pick HL subjects that you want to pursue further at university, or that you're better at, and SL can just be for fun. If you want to study anything STEM related at university, you'll probably need HL maths.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending