The Student Room Group

Qualified Lawyers Assessment

I am looking to sit the QLA exams to requalify in Scotland. Has anyone sat these recently and have any books for sale? Also any advice would be gratefully received esp about exemptions. (This has replaced the UK intra-transfer test). Many thanks, Kerry

Scroll to see replies

Hi Kerry,

Im looking to sit QLA exams as well but I'm clueless at the moment with prep. I can see your post was 11 months ago. Did you end up giving the exam, if so, it would be great if we can have a chat and if you can help me provide some exam prep material. It would help me tremendously
Thanks.
Reply 2
Hi Mahnum, unfortunately I lost my mum Sept so didn’t end up sitting any exams last year but intend to sit two or three in May and and the rest In November all being well but work is very demanding atm and I’m struggling to find the time to study. As an English qualified sol I was granted four exemptions which leaves me seven exams in total to sit. What is your home country? As far as I am aware there is no course, there is simply the syllabus and a list of books and you have to teach yourself! I have printed the past exam papers to get an idea of the type of questions that might be asked although last years aren’t on the website yet. The exams themselves are only an hour and open book so you have be very concise. It also looks like they are still remote which saves a trip to Edinburgh. It’s frustrating you can’t just re qualify in the area of law you want to practise in. I understand re qualifying in England is much easier but I’ve stalled long enough and just need to get on and do it. :-) I practise in private client so whilst I’m at it I might also do the STEP qualification, which area do you practise in? Good luck.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mahnum Ikram
Hi Kerry,

Im looking to sit QLA exams as well but I'm clueless at the moment with prep. I can see your post was 11 months ago. Did you end up giving the exam, if so, it would be great if we can have a chat and if you can help me provide some exam prep material. It would help me tremendously
Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you have twelve months to commence the exams from the date they grant your certificate of eligibility. There are two diets a year- May and Nov. Sorry if you already know all this.
Hi Kerry,

Im so sorry to hear about your mom. Thanks for the such detailed response anf information. I know most of it now as im keeping up with their website information but im grateful for you to respond in such detail. Right now i know two other people who are planning to give the exam.

Thanks,
Mahnum
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
I am doing some revision notes on trusts and succession atm. The Gretton and Steven text is succinct but too much so in some areas. You will need to refer to Hiram’s text to add some of the detail required to answer the problem questions but be careful because although reprinted 2016 it doesn’t include the changes in the Succession (Scotland) Act 2016.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
P.s If you message Louise Bradley at The Law Society she will email you the most recent papers. Also, I notice those papers are 90 mins and not 60 mins.
Reply 7
Hi Mahnum

I hope you are well. I’m planning to sit the QLA early next year and I am keen to get chatting to people who have undertaken the QLA recently to get an idea of the preparation time involved and the process generally. If you were willing to share your experience with me I’d be extremely grateful. Thank you.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 8
Hi Kerry,

I hope you are well. I’m planning to sit the QLA early next year and I am keen to get chatting to people who have undertaken the QLA recently to get an idea of the preparation time involved and the process generally. If you were willing to share your experience with me I’d be extremely grateful.Thank you.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 9
Hi Lexielaw
I will be sitting my first three exams this coming week and will get in touch once they’re out the way. Kind regards, Kerry
(edited 3 months ago)
Is there any place (academy/university) that helps with this exams?
Reply 11
Original post by Adolfo Pachi
Is there any place (academy/university) that helps with this exams?

Not to my knowledge. On the Law Society Scotland website there is a syllabus, a list of texts, access to some past papers and you have to teach your self! There used to be a course for the UK inter transfer test but this has been scrapped and now non Scottish UK solicitors are treated as foreign lawyers although you might get exemption from some of the exams. I got exemption from 4 which left me 7 to sit. I took my first 3 this month and I am anxiously waiting for the results as it’s been 15 years since I sat any exams and I’m out of the habit. 😬🤞Exams are open book and only 90 mins long but the syllabus is wide and 90 mins is not a lot of time especially to consider detailed problem questions. Since lockdown the exams have been remote. It’s quite an undertaking and I am not looking forward to the procedure exam- the list of what you need to know for that is insane! Best wishes and good luck.
Hi Ken, could you let me know about the collection of study materials. did you download them online or photocopied ?.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 13
What exams are you referring to exactly, all of them? I only have to sit seven. I did three in May and have four next month. I don’t have access to any online material which has been a real problem for criminal procedure which is by far the hardest to prepare for. Although you can apply as a member or the public to join a Uni library they don’t allow you access to the online material. I bought hard copies from Amazon either new or used. As I read through them I highlighted bits and typed up revision notes. Money Laundering Regs and guidance are online as is the Criminal Procedure Act 1995. I have my hands full atm juggling exam prep and work. Kind regards, Kerry
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by KerryHen
Not to my knowledge. On the Law Society Scotland website there is a syllabus, a list of texts, access to some past papers and you have to teach your self! There used to be a course for the UK inter transfer test but this has been scrapped and now non Scottish UK solicitors are treated as foreign lawyers although you might get exemption from some of the exams. I got exemption from 4 which left me 7 to sit. I took my first 3 this month and I am anxiously waiting for the results as it’s been 15 years since I sat any exams and I’m out of the habit. 😬🤞Exams are open book and only 90 mins long but the syllabus is wide and 90 mins is not a lot of time especially to consider detailed problem questions. Since lockdown the exams have been remote. It’s quite an undertaking and I am not looking forward to the procedure exam- the list of what you need to know for that is insane! Best wishes and good luck.

I couldn’t agree more re procedure. I’ve spent twice as much time on it as everything else and still take ages to do the past questions
Reply 15
Hey , I am planning to give QLA. I need to have a proper discussion with the person who has already given this .
Reply 16
If you would like to pm me I am happy to give you some guidance. I have now competed all seven exams and was admitted to the Roll last week. Kind regards, Kerry
Reply 17
If you would like to pm me I am happy to give you some guidance. I have now competed all seven exams and was admitted to the Roll last week. Kind regards, Kerry
Well done KerryHen. I am considering taking the exams and would appreciate some guidance. Warm regards, Patricia
Congratulations
Hi Kerry. Congratulations for completing all exams. I am sitting my first few papers in May. Would you please be able to offer few tips on preparing for open book exam and the way exams are written? I can't seem to be able to PM you. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending